Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Top Gun F-15 Tubine conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Top Gun F-15 Tubine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 03:23 AM
klave
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gun F-15 Tubine conversion

I MANAGED TO FIT MY RAM 750 INTO MY F-15 3. I DECIDED TO MAKE INTO A SINGLE NOZZEL F-15. I MANAGED TO SQUEZE 68 OZ OF FUEL ON BOARD. i AM NOT DONE YET SO DONT HAVE A WEIGHT YET IM GUESSING ABOUT 16 POUNDS. HERE IS SOME PICTURES.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41274_15185.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	25911  
Old 12-16-2002, 03:28 AM
klave

Default #2

Name:	41276_15185.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	25912  
Old 12-16-2002, 04:27 AM
sandman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking F-15. Is it the new TGA F-15 turbine or did you convert the D/F kit? What ever you did it looks good. Are you going to turn down the thrust or fly it at 17lb?
Paul
Old 12-16-2002, 10:37 PM
klave

Hey paul.

It was a ducted fan version, pusher style. I am going to keep the thrust the same, but use a speed limiter. I bought the turbine for a good price and I love how the jet flys so I decided to convert over.

Name:	41403_15185.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	25913  
Old 12-17-2002, 02:29 AM
sandman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't even see the single exhaust at the angle you took the first picture. That is rather a novel and cool answer to your needs, the way you blended it in. I loved the way mine flew too.
Do you think it would be possible to cut the original rear section and double tail cones off, make some formers and a single exhaust area and cone such as yours and bolt it on? One could then have the twin cone section to bolt back on if you really liked flying it and put a split pipe in it for a more realistic look later on.
Are you using a header tank? What is the dry weight, ready for flight? Sorry for all the questions, but I think industry needs some low cost, well engineered, fun flying airframes available for up and coming turbine pilots. Great Job!!!!
Paul
Old 12-17-2002, 02:56 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

If it is the one He had at Mich Jets last year, it is the Ultra Eagle III, Converted from Byron power to Turbine. It was all red at Mich Jets.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:53 PM
klave

Alot of people would say why would you do that to F- 15, just buy a split pipe and be done with it. I don't like the idea of obstructing
anything in the exhaust path, and I don't like the sound. I have seen some jets where guys just ran the straight pipe out the center of the outlets. I made a 24 oz header tank out of carbon fiber,does not look to nice but works well, saddle tanks are 24 oz
each and three B.V.M felt clunks. The weight right now is about 15.5 lb with out struts wheels and brakes. Its not scale but different. Steve from top gun is good source for proper airframe mods to aid in the extra stress of weight and speed. Thanks paul for the complement

Chris
Old 12-18-2002, 03:39 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

I was thinking of converting a Top Gun mig or F-15 duc-fan kit to turbine and installing 12 to 17 lb. I was told the balso fins and stabs on both models would not be safe. That was a couple of years ago. Are they Safe?? Did you do anything to them to modify them?? Has anyone had good luck flying the mig or 15 on turbine regularly with no Fin/stab problem. Thank you, russ
Old 12-18-2002, 10:55 PM
klave

on mine, I glassed the rear stabs and the elevator portion is made from a carbon fiber sheet. I am not aware of any problems from other guys flying conversions. If you don't abuse the airframe
I don't think you would have any problems. I seen a picture of a converted mig 29 on top gun's web site.