Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need a good, cheap dremel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Seek and Destroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a good, cheap dremel

OK, well I am tired of trying to use a drill as a dremel because it just doesn't work. So I am looking for a basic dremel but not the bes in the world because I only need something that will get the job done. So far the ones I am looking at are:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfjm.0

maybe just maybe one of these
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...TOOL&ihtoken=1

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfjm.0

Are there any other ones that are good and strong. I like craftsman, but this is rc. I would also like variable speed and cordless. The main one though is cordless.

This one doesn't look very bad http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXC507&P=ML

Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
-Inverted-

Default RE: Need a good, cheap dremel

Thats the one I have, not as feature wise, but for basic stuff it gets the job done.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Seek and Destroy

DO you like it? Have you had any problems with it?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You simply can't go wrong with the good old [link=http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-3956-02-MultiPro-Variable-Accessories/dp/B00006JSPB]Dremel MultiPro[/link]. You can get it anywhere, it comes in a bunch of different packages, there a lot of accessories made to fit it, and it will do almost anything. I've had one for years now and I love it.

I've had cordless Dremels before, but I don't really like them. First, they only have a few speeds at best, while the corded MultiPro is fully variable. Second, corded tools don't run out of juice on you in the middle of a cut. Third, corded tools have much higher available speeds, making them ideal for tasks such as cutting metal.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 AM
hands without shadows

I would go with a corded one too. When I got mine it was on sale at Canadian tire for 15 bucks, its 10 speed and it came with a bunch of bits. Its not a namebrand dremel but it gets the job done. I think thery are 25 or 30 regular price.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 AM
bte214

Go to a local hardware store and see what they have, or a menards home depot whatever you have where you live. I have a ryobi rotary tool and it has variable speed etc. Got mine free from my grandpa so i can't help you there. I do like this one though because it has the flex shaft with it. Handy to get in small places. http://www.amazon.com/GMC-ART372-Var...7?ie=UTF8&s=hi
Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: Taffey

You simply can't go wrong with the good old [link=http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-3956-02-MultiPro-Variable-Accessories/dp/B00006JSPB]Dremel MultiPro[/link]. You can get it anywhere, it comes in a bunch of different packages, there a lot of accessories made to fit it, and it will do almost anything. I've had one for years now and I love it.

I've had cordless Dremels before, but I don't really like them. First, they only have a few speeds at best, while the corded MultiPro is fully variable. Second, corded tools don't run out of juice on you in the middle of a cut. Third, corded tools have much higher available speeds, making them ideal for tasks such as cutting metal.
A wireless one will really die that quick?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
chrobar

Well since craftsman is the creator of dremel, I got the Craftsman rotary tool kit with variable speed, 5000 to 35000 rpm. Very good and strong because it's corded. The cordless ones are not too powerful and they don't last too long.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
suzukiman650

ORIGINAL: chrobar

Well since craftsman is the creator of dremel, I got the Craftsman rotary tool kit with variable speed, 5000 to 35000 rpm. Very good and strong because it's corded. The cordless ones are not too powerful and they don't last too long.
Um, no they are not. Dremel is seperate and actually makes some of the Craftsmen models.

I would not get one of the off brand cheap models but save and spend the little extra on a genuine Dremel rotary tool, even their most basic unit. Sure, you can buy a cheap one for $25 but how cheap is it really when you have to replace it in a year? My first Dremel is 15 years old and still works fine. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:46 PM
chrobar

hey suzuki, dremel is just a branch of companies owned by craftsman. They are both companies but craftsman is the top one. Just like GM owns all the american auto makers. A dremel is just a rotary tool, and craftsman makes many of them.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:13 PM
DaveG55

You guys are funny.
First, GM does not own all the car companies in the US. There's also Ford and Chrysler although Chrysler is now owned by Daimler so maybe they're German now????
Dremel is owned by Bosch tools. The make some Craftsman tools for Sears but Sears does not own them - nor does Craftsman.
Sears has never really made much of their own stuff. Not power tools, not hand tools, not appliances and not electronics. They get major brands to make stuff and slap the Craftsman (or Kenmore) name on it, not the other way around.

To stay on topic, Get a true Dremel. They are the best and worth the money. I don't know how the newer cordless ones are but the older ones were not very good. Didn't hold a charge well, were not all that powerful and the batteries just flat died (as in needed replaced) too soon. They were very handy though.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Elite_Tux487

Go with the 10.8 volt lithium dremel. It kicks ass. Its not underpowered and since its lithium no memory build up. It has a LOT of power to it. I just picked one up a couple weeks ago at sears.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Seek and Destroy

WEll my dad just happened to have some 5 year old cordless dremel. I am going to try it out tomorrow. I probably will get a li-ion one soon though.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:23 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

i found a kawasaki spiral saw at sams club for $41. it is by far the largest kit i've ever seen. works like a champ. comes with like 225 bits (cutting and polishing), variable speed, and is an awsome green color. its only a 1amp, but works as good as any of the higher end brands. if you can, check it out.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:28 AM
xtremraptor
My Feedback: (24)

i bought a Black-n-Decker rotary tool. it is every bit as good as the Dremmel and was about $20 cheaper.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...Path=1496.1508

i had the cordless dremmel. it was very handy but as everyone says not very powerful and the batteries run out. plus you only get one battery which means you have to wait. i ended up modding mine to hook to a hobby grade 7.2v battery pack since the dremmel battery was also 7.2v. i had 3 or 4 of these batteries and their charger is much quicker.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Cicada-

+1 on corded -- a cordless one will die when you really don't want it to. plus it's only at its best on a full charge, then it loses its torque and speed, and therefore, it's cutting ability shortly after.

i have the dremel XPR400 -- it's a dream.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Elite_Tux487

The lithium one doesn't bog down or loose power after a full charge like nicd or nimh batterys. Its rated at 10.8 volts Ive used it for well over 1 hour non stop at full speed. It got warm but it still had about 5/8 battery life left.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Seek and Destroy

The 5 yr old one I am using is working great, and after only charging it for 1/3 of how long its supposed to charge, it lasted ofr 20 mins easily. It still had power left, I was jus done with it by then.