Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

seagulls making a mess

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

seagulls making a mess

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 03:01 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seagulls making a mess

our field is located close to a shore line. we have an issue of seagulls dropping shells on the blacktop to crack them open and eat the inside. the remaining shells damage the monocote.
anyone else have this problem? I have heard over and over to paint the filed black green but don't think this will help. these seagulls have been eating off our blacktop for generations. besides our blacktop is not pitched correctly and in some spots the water puddles a little. I don't think the paint will stand up to that.
anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-30-2002, 03:55 PM
flailing
My Feedback: (1)

Have you tried a Falcon replica? works sometimes
Old 09-30-2002, 03:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would use a shotgun.

Actually, the paint idea seems to be pretty reasonable. Even if it doesn't hold up completely, at least it would no longer be a great big black rectangle. As you said, if they've been doing this for so long, it may not deter them, but short of using the shotgun method, I don't know of too much else you could do.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:07 PM
flailing

Alka-celtzer is pretty effective too
Old 09-30-2002, 08:45 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

re the green paint. Can seagulls see in color? You'd hate to go to the expense and effort of painting the tarmac if the feathered *******s can't tell the difference.

Concur with the shotgun method. Minimal cleanup and satisfying to boot. The Alka-Seltzer method is just plain cruel and should be reserved for rodents. Or bank managers
Old 09-30-2002, 09:46 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Might want to try airguns instead of shotguns. I doubt it will be legal to discharge firearms anywhere near Brooklyn shores.

Them birds are smart, though. It only takes a couple of plinkings for them learn to fear the sight of a gun. The trouble is: they also learn quick that a gun sitting idle on a table is no threat at all - until somebody goes to use it. They will go about their business as usual as long as nobody makes a move toward the gun...
Old 10-07-2002, 06:52 PM
Blackie

I say try a bird of pray.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:31 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Sounds to me like a court date............Its illegal to kill a sea gull...............John
Old 10-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Blackie

Street sweeper perhaps
Old 10-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12G Browning will do it.

Vince
Old 10-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fireworks

Maybe you could get some fireworks. Maybe firecrackers or even a few sparklers.

Of course; they are gonna get used to them and then your right back where you started.

Thats when you break out the roman candles.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:16 AM
AKMac

I don't know about other states, but in Utah it's a pretty big offense to kill a seagull. I think it might even be a felony. Though it could be it's because the seagull is our state bird. I would check into it before you whip out your 12 gauge scattergun
Old 10-13-2002, 04:14 AM
flap

OK READY,

I almost hate to, oh well.

You can purchase inflatable snakes, YES, snakes. (large ones, 4" in diameter by at least 6')
Cut the tips of the tails off and stuff them full of something, I havnt used this but I think foam insulation in the cans you purchase @ Lowes or Home Depot would be better than cotton or rags, itll be waterproof.
Youll need to anchor these decoys to the asphault, as far as how many, itl be trial and error.
You will have introduced a very natural enemy to the gulls, thell look for a more inviting dining table untill the other guests leave, of coarse, they never will.
Go ahead WOOOHAAWWW away, it works!
My uncle had birds for years nesting in a garage, with no doors and making a mess out of everything, he got those snakes from some gardening book, ordered them, stuffed them put 2 in the garage and I SWEAR, the birds abandoned their newborn and NEVER returned.

Try it!

Roger
Old 10-13-2002, 03:26 PM
G.F. Reid

From what you're saying, sounds like the shells are the problem moreso than the gulls themselves right? Why don't you guys get a leaf blower for the club and keep it in the toolshed. Take it and blow the runway down before a flying session.
Nuisance animals like seagulls always seem to adapt to anything you do like rubber snakes, airhorns and fake owls. Now, a real bird of prey would be effective... but then you're getting into an entirely new hobby.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:14 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Default leaf blower.

we have several leaf blowers but there more noise they anything else. the shells are heavy and once they start to pile up with the blower, together they bocome to heavy for it. we have to sweep the runway often cart off the shells into the woods.
what kind of bird of prey do you think might work here?
Old 10-13-2002, 07:59 PM
G.F. Reid

Like I said, that's a whole new hobby in and of itself. I know that a lot of cities, including NY and Atlanta have imported some type of falcon that thrives pretty well in cities, right up to nesting in the nooks and crannies of skyscrapers. They control the pigeon population. Something to look into I suppose.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:02 PM
flailing

Peregrine Falcon SP? I have several that nest behind my house when they come out all the other birds disappear.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:59 PM
Small Fry

Default Just kidding...

Take an old plane, one that you dont mind if it crashes, rig up some sort of suspension on the wheels, larger (air inflated) wheels (maybe some sort of RC Car wheel? haha) and send that thing down the runway at them. They will think they are smart and take off, but when it goes up after them, they might have second thoughts! haha :rainfro:
Old 10-29-2002, 11:11 PM
old propnut

Paint Seagull in white full size on the runway in flight as it would look to a seagull flying above it. Thay will not drop anything on the runway to break it for fear that that Gull below will beat them to it. I have seen it done and it works.
Fred
Old 10-29-2002, 11:34 PM
visioneer_one

Default Uh-oh.

Originally posted by AKMac
I don't know about other states, but in Utah it's a pretty big offense to kill a seagull. I think it might even be a felony. Though it could be it's because the seagull is our state bird. I would check into it before you whip out your 12 gauge scattergun
Guess that makes me a fugitive.

I hit one with my Audi driving back to Ogden from Wendover. While cruising at 110 MPH. Foom! Pass. side headlamp cluster gone, a chunk of bumper missing, half the the grille splintered, radiator damaged. Feathers and innards everywhere.

That winged ******* caused $2700 worth of damage to my car. Thank Ghod for State farm.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:04 AM
AKMac

How dare you kill our stinky state bird! I'll make sure to tell the Mormons to send some missionaries your way! That'll teach ya! lol
Old 10-30-2002, 03:55 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Default Re: Uh-oh.

[i]Originally posted by visioneer_one [

That winged ******* caused $2700 worth of damage to my car. Thank Ghod for State farm. [/B]

I wonder how he felt???????
Old 10-30-2002, 11:05 AM
visioneer_one

Default Re: Re: Uh-oh.

Originally posted by jmulder
I wonder how he felt???????
He probably wished he'd sprung for the Term Life coverage so the Missus and Younguns would be well provided for. Too late now. Can't ask the bird, as he was quite dead.

As for final feelings...
Shocked?
Confused?
Crushed?
Old 10-30-2002, 07:55 PM
t-craft-RCU

Rubber snakes work! We had gull crapp all over the roof of a building downtown and they put a rubber snake up there. They never came back. Otherwise here in Manitowoc the cops have permission to shoot 10 per day up to 100. There are probably 100,000 here so not much of a dent. LMAO
Old 11-01-2002, 01:07 AM
visioneer_one

Originally posted by AKMac
How dare you kill our stinky state bird! I'll make sure to tell the Mormons to send some missionaries your way! That'll teach ya! lol
BTW I thought the state birds were those blackflies that live on the Lake. I remember coming back from Antelope Island one summer evening and passing through a thick clump of them... OMG what a mess. The wipers couldn't shift the crusty mess off the windscreen, so I had to creep along until clear of the cloud then stopped and scraped them off with an ice scraper... <retch> <retch>

Tell you what. Whoever built the self-service carwash at the end of the causeway is a friggin GENIUS. I must have dropped $12 bucks in quarters blasting them buggers off the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.