Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Which one? Monokote or 21st century fabric???

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Which one? Monokote or 21st century fabric???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 08:48 AM
windsurfer
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one? Monokote or 21st century fabric???

I need some opinions to cover 66" wingspan pitts special. I have used monokote in the past with success, and I am inclined to use the same here (even though it is "toy" shiny for an aircraft) due to its sheer strength.
However, I hear that many people have also been using 21st century fabric for giant scale applications, and I wonder if any of you have an idea which will suit better to this bipe in terms of looks, ease of covering and especially sturdiness due to this plane's aerobatic features.
Please let me know.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:51 AM
flytaildragger
My Feedback: (8)

I have used 21st Century Fabric on a Gee Bee Model D. One of the interesting facts is I no longer use monokote on anything that is a scale plane. The fabric will look like a painted fabric that is realistic and stronger. It will not have the shattering effect when stressed like the plastic coverings do. Only thing thought the fabric will not shrink as tight. you must stretch the covering a little more than the monokote. I loved it. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:20 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I have used the 21st fabric twice. It is not as easy to apply as ultracoat but is not difficult. A little harder to get around a compound curve such as a wingtip without some wrinkles but it is very tough covering. The downside is that it weighs quite a bit more than film