Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

IMAA is closing their doors

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

IMAA is closing their doors

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IMAA is closing their doors

Received an email from our IMAA District VII President saying that the last issue of High Flight will be this fall and the group is closing their doors. Also saw on the IMAA website the same thing this evening. It was a great group while it lasted.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IMAA introduced a lot of people to the joys of flying Giant Scale model aircraft. This enjoyment will continue for most, and Giant Fly-In's will continue without a IMAA sanction, and just a AMA sanction. I also believe that there will be a continued need for a Giant Scale publication, and that some enterprising group will pick it up. The IMAA's High Flight magazine had articles and materials found no where else.

Ed

Last edited by Ed; 08-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:22 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copy of our notification here
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just sent this message to Ken Shapiro. Come on members are you really ready to let a very good modeling organization die?????

Ken:

Amazing news about the organization closing the doors. I know times have been tough but look at the attendance at large scale events. Castle is the largest West coast event by far. Was a dues increase by double or triple considered? Certainly the annual dues have been a bargain, Highflight remains the only true Modeling magazine available, all the others are giant catalogs and ads. With the price of the models flown by IMAA members, 50 or 75 or even 100 dollars per year would not be out of the question to maintain the organization.

Hopefully something can be done to save IMAA as there is definitely a need.

Paul Stenberg
House of Balsa
Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Advertising PAYS for the magazine. Dues alone isn't enough income. Big planes are very common now. The hobby has become accustomed to the idea of "giant scale" etc. so is there a need now for a special organization like IMAA.?
I think maybe not any longer.
The magazine was ok.,just ok. If it were a viable publication then it should be able to survive on its own.
FYI you can still have IMAA rules for size etc. for events without having the IMAA.

Last edited by BobH; 08-20-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

BobH:

Not sure what fantasy world you are living in. Just because you have become and expert and know all that is to be know does not mean that others coming into the hobby might benefit from the organization. I am sure that IMAA had a lot to do with "giant scale" becoming commonplace. That being said, it does not mean that the job is over. One issue is the decreasing size of our hobby in all areas. Removing a promotional organization and publication (Highflight is much more than just ok) further limits the exposure of our great hobby and specifically the aspect of Giant Scale.

The issue of IMAA operating in a fiscally responsible way is a different subject. Certainly Advertising should cover a large part of the publication cost. The magazine was at the very least technically competent and not just a catalog or series of advertisements.

Paul S
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Paul,
Thank you for your kind words. I doubt I'm an expert. I would say that if the IMAA is truly needed then it will return.

We live in a world of Digital media and the Internet. Doubtful there is much any one could want to know that wouldn't be available on the Net in some group or forum. RC
Universe being a prime example. So I don't buy your arguments.

Of course our hobby is decreasing. Its called Demographics. We live with it as best we can Do you suppose that our wishes are going to change the make up of the population and bring back the "good old days". Nice wish but doubtful.

I'm not living in any kind of fantasy world. I do try and deal with reality as best I can. Been doing this RC Stuff since the early 70's and seen a lot come and go.
Like most other things in this hobby it too will work it self out.