Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Cellophane as a wing covering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cellophane as a wing covering

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 02:47 AM
Bone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cellophane as a wing covering

Earlier this year I was talking to a modeller who flys electric models & he told me that plain ordinary cellophane (the stuff you can wrap presents/gifts up in) makes a great wing covering - he says it's light, even shrinks when you apply heat. Not as strong though when it comes to holes etc.

Anyway, thought I might give it a go, but not sure what type/sort of adhesive to use to glue/stick it to the wing structure.

Anyone tried cellophane before ? Did it work ? Adhesive ?

Greg
Old 08-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not tried the cellophane but have used the various food wrap films rather successfully for small electic and rubber powered planes. Use plain old glue stick for an adhesive.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:47 PM
Al Stein

I experimented a little with Cellophane. The stuff I was able to get had lots and lots of strength in tension, but had big problems with shear... so it would instantly develop a big tear starting at any puncture it got.

It may be OK for indoor planes -- I hadn't yet built any of them back when I was experimenting with the wrapping stuff.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:58 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used cellophane from wallmart on my tigerkitten (electric) I used balsaloc to adhere it. It is not strong but is pretty and cheap! Jim Finn
Old 11-04-2002, 05:12 AM
rsieminski

I've used the "Gift Basket Cellophane" and shrink wrap for covering with great results. It's very strong, cheap, lightweight, and comes in lots of colors. I've used weldwood ( both types ) contact cement, to adhear it to the frame. The water based stuff, you can use inside the house, as it doesn't smell too bad. The heat shrink stuff, shrinks more than any other film I've ever used. USE HEAT SPARRINGLY! I wrapped an AL can in several layers and heated it with a heat gun, and it easily crushed the can.