Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Plane Balancing Idea???

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Plane Balancing Idea???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 09:01 PM
sabatka_r
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane Balancing Idea???

Has or does anyone use their GREAT PLANES CG balancer to balance a plane side to side besides front to rear??? Just a thought, wondered if it works? RS..........
Old 10-16-2002, 10:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

better way to balance a plane from side to side. fishing line. with the engine, radio, and all hardware mounted tie the fishing line around shaft on your engine. Pull out enough line to have it about 2-3 feet above your plane, and then tie the other end around the tail as close to the rear of the plane as possible (you can put some foam or paper towels under the line to keep it from cutting into the wood). then just simply lift the plane from the approximate middle of the line. you'll get an immediate answer to the side to side balance. or if you need to leave it suspended while you balance it. you can use more fishing line and suspend it from the ceiling.

hope this helps
Old 10-19-2002, 03:23 AM
Tailspin Terror

What I do is build a hardwood block, on the CG of my model's wing. I then screw an eye bolt into the block, on the CG. In the case of low wing models, I hang the model upsidedown, from the ceiling and then I'm able to balance the CG, fore to aft and laterally, wing tip to wing tip, all in one shot. Hope this helps you out.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:29 AM
monkeyhead
My Feedback: (1)

What happens if you cannot get the plane to balance at all. I have a H9 Edge 540 that when you are close to CG, the tail will fall through. But if you raise the tail, the nose will fall through, without changing your balance point. Any tips there?
Old 11-04-2002, 04:45 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by monkeyhead
What happens if you cannot get the plane to balance at all. I have a H9 Edge 540 that when you are close to CG, the tail will fall through. But if you raise the tail, the nose will fall through, without changing your balance point. Any tips there?
Sounds like you are trying to balance the Edge right side up. Try to balance it up side down and see if it will balance.

You need to use the pendulum effect to help you balance the plane. If it is a high wing balance it right side up, If it is a low wing balance it up side down. Now a mid wing you will have to determine if more weight is above or below the wing and put the heavy side down.

Both RCKen and Tailspin's idea work great also.

DEG
Old 11-05-2002, 05:54 AM
monkeyhead

I've tried it both right-side up and upside-down. Same results as before. Will keep trying to figure out this simple, but butt-kicking task.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:18 PM
vinnie

Sounds balanced to me.