Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Zen 90 Rudder Control Horn Pull-Pull issue

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Zen 90 Rudder Control Horn Pull-Pull issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 02:46 AM
KenChoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zen 90 Rudder Control Horn Pull-Pull issue

Hi all,

Worked on installing the rudder control horns last night, and I discovered that because of the large bevel that WM has in the rudder, the rudder horn even when positioned so the plate is at the very edge of the rudder's flat surface (just before the bevel) doesn't allow the control tab to be in line with the hinge line. This will make for uneven tension in the pull-pull wires when the rudder is deflected. I ended up moving the horn forward (it juts out from the edge of the flat surface just a bit) as much as I felt comfortable with - meaning as far as I could and still allow the screws/plate to have a solid surface to hold on to) and I still have about a 1/16th inch or slightly less distance back from the hinge line. I just hope this won't be too much of a problem when set up with the servo.

Anyone else encounter this problem? I thought of bending the screw part of the control horn out to get the tab in line but I don't want to damage the plastic mounting plate or the screw itself. Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2002, 04:58 AM
NCC-1701

Thanks for the heads-up. I am working on a Zen 90 myself. I have a couple of Sonic Tronics rudder pull-pull kits. I'll test one of those instead of the stock kit and see if it can be aligned with the hinge line.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:50 PM
$ircra$halot

Hi Ken: I think it was at rcfaq.com I read about something called ackerman. And it states that this condition you describe, is normal for setting up pull pull cable type controls anyhow. I won't go into it here as I couldn't begin to explain it as well as they do. I would recommend anyone to go to this web site and read any/everything in there. It's almost as informative as this place. I am going there to bone up on some giant scale stuff, If I run across it again I will post exactly where it is, very interesting stuff. Always happy to help if I can. Garry
Old 11-02-2002, 06:27 PM
$ircra$halot

Hey Ken I've been to rcfaq.com and did not find what I was looking for. Maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about and will chime in here. I will pursue this again tonight. Now is time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's. Garry
Old 11-03-2002, 05:16 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default Horn

Hi Robart has an item called a "Horny Hinge Point" It is a hinge and horn all in one neat piece. It might solve you problem, I haven't used them yet. Good luck!

Regards
Mark
Old 11-03-2002, 07:43 AM
$ircra$halot

Hi again ken: I found the article on Ackerman. If you type Ackerman+control+surface there is a good article that explains what Ackerman is, how it works, and how to set up your plane. If you would rather set up your plane in the typical fashion, Robart makes control horns that extend a little further into the hinge line if you would prefer to go that route. Always glad to help if I can. Garry.