Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 01:01 PM
Wyoturbine

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Prekin
Nice work John!! I also work with Tamiya weathering master, that helps to get perfect result!!
Thanks Jiri! Your scale parts always bring the details to life!
Hoping to get going with the roundels and nomenclature in the coming weeks!
Old 05-16-2024, 01:40 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Great job on the build. It looks really good, and I like the scheme! Would you mind telling us a little bit about how you made the rivets on the wing and fuselage? Also, how is the foam baffling held in place?

Thank you and Best regards,

-Ed B.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:11 PM
Lifer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it's time you started writing the monthly RC Scale column in Model Aviation.....
Old 05-16-2024, 02:32 PM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by Flyfast1
Hello,

Great job on the build. It looks really good, and I like the scheme! Would you mind telling us a little bit about how you made the rivets on the wing and fuselage? Also, how is the foam baffling held in place?

Thank you and Best regards,

-Ed B.
Thanks Ed, the fuselage round head rivets were vinyl stick on from Chad Veich. They come by the thousands and are transferred using scotch tape.
The flush rivets in the armored areas of the fuse around the cockpit were made by laying aluminum tape(Aerofoil was brand I believe I used), then mapping it out and using the end of small diameter brass pipe to indent the foil.
For the wing I mapped out my rivet lines with light pencil first, then used a soldering iron with a brass pipe the diameter of choice in the chuck. The trick is burning/indenting the rivet only partially through the primer coat. This took some trial and error and playing with temperature. Each method is a process, but the results are well worth the time in my mind.
The Darice foam only needs a bead of ca along the inside of the cowl, it secures it nicely.
Hope this helps!

Old 05-16-2024, 02:34 PM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by Lifer
I think it's time you started writing the monthly RC Scale column in Model Aviation.....
Haha! I barely have time to build and fly!
Old 05-16-2024, 08:29 PM
Flyfast1

Originally Posted by Wyoturbine
Thanks Ed, the fuselage round head rivets were vinyl stick on from Chad Veich. They come by the thousands and are transferred using scotch tape.
The flush rivets in the armored areas of the fuse around the cockpit were made by laying aluminum tape(Aerofoil was brand I believe I used), then mapping it out and using the end of small diameter brass pipe to indent the foil.
For the wing I mapped out my rivet lines with light pencil first, then used a soldering iron with a brass pipe the diameter of choice in the chuck. The trick is burning/indenting the rivet only partially through the primer coat. This took some trial and error and playing with temperature. Each method is a process, but the results are well worth the time in my mind.
The Darice foam only needs a bead of ca along the inside of the cowl, it secures it nicely.
Hope this helps!
Yes, that's very helpful. Did you add a drop of adhesive to the vinyl rivets on the fuselage, or just use the vinyl rivets?

-Ed B.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM
Wyoturbine

Yes, that's very helpful. Did you add a drop of adhesive to the vinyl rivets on the fuselage, or just use the vinyl rivets?

-Ed B.

No adhesive required, just have to make sure the airframe is clean of dust oil etc and you have a fairly smooth surface.
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
Flyfast1

Originally Posted by Wyoturbine
No adhesive required, just have to make sure the airframe is clean of dust oil etc and you have a fairly smooth surface.
Sorry, I meant to ask whether you added a drop of adhesive on top of each rivet to simulate raised rivets? I've read that's a technique some modelers use, but I've never tried it myself.

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
Wyoturbine

Sorry, I meant to ask whether you added a drop of adhesive on top of each rivet to simulate raised rivets? I've read that's a technique some modelers use, but I've never tried it myself.

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Oh tracking, no I didn’t add anything to them as the thickness of the vinyl raises them enough to stand out. I suppose on a 1/4 scale or larger that may be needed, but these stand out through paint just fine.
The following users liked this post:
Flyfast1 (Yesterday)