Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

4 M glider advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 05:17 AM
mfranke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 M glider advice

Looking to scale up with the next size in Glider. Anyone with great experience with a powered
4 meter glider
Old 08-14-2022, 08:06 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for. Are you interested in a scale glider or more of an ALES/F5J glider and are you willing to spend upwards of 2K?
Old 08-15-2022, 11:47 AM
mfranke
My Feedback: (1)

I am prepared to spend up to 2K. I have no interest in towing or bungee lunch. A scale 4 meter that is got a motor in the nose. I have been looking at some of the check airplanes and also some from Canada. Looking for good build quality and good suggestions ASW type gliders
Seems to be a few out of China but I am a little leery of those.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:12 AM
rjtw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark,
Not sure if you're still looking but there are MANY scale glider models in the 4m (quarter scale-ish) range. I'd suggest heading over to the "scale sailplane" section of rcgroups to check out the discussions there. For just one example there's a thread on the Paritech quarter scale ASH-26 there now. Here's a link to the manufacturer's page: https://www.paritechshop.de/shop/sho...it-14/?lang=en

Here's another thread, a little larger airframe but apparently in the price range: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oenix-ASW28-36

And here's yet another thread. A few years old but it touches on all the basics about larger scale sailplanes: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-v-Paritech-v

Another great resource is rc-networks.de. Use google translate to automatically translate the entire website.

There are still a lot of choices you'll need to make beyond price and size. Do you want a fully molded airframe? Are you willing to chop off the nose yourself and figure out which motor, prop and spinner combo works on your own - or do you want a more turnkey solution? Do you want something for slow thermal hunting or something for speedy aerobatics? And as you've already hinted, do you want something European? What's your skill level? All of those choices will drive what models are available and, of course, price. By the way, if you're not willing to experiment too much on your own, then choose a popular model where lots of other people have already gone down the path and documented what works.

Another issue you might want to consider is how you intend to launch. If you're not towing or using a bungee, do you want something that can ROG or do you intend to hand launch? Not all scale sailplanes can necessarily do either. You'll need to consider as well whether you want retractable gear (cool, but often not a great idea on smaller models because of the weight penalty -- again depending on what you're looking for).

Ultimately, it pays to do your research. I'd encourage you (and anyone else considering a first "larger" scale sailplane) to seek out manufacturer websites, retail websites and build threads and then start asking more specific questions!

Last edited by rjtw; 10-12-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 11:35 PM
amahillo

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ventus 4.5 from topmodel is a great choice
also Diana 2 is great
Old 04-02-2024, 01:21 PM
tk3rd

I have a scale Discus fuse with Planetary Gear Drive which flew it beautifully before
the (4 meter) wings burned in a forest/garage fire. I have an in-flight picture (air-brakes deployed) of a landing.
I've never had the skill to build wings for it and hope to give it to someone who might make it a project to fly again.

I believe it was a Graupner kit (f-glass). I sent the PG motor to the factory for rebuild before flight. it has HiTec Rx and servos, uninstalled retract main gear, NO Damage to fuse or canopy. The flying stab was simple flat balsa

thank you,

tom sisk
Colorado
USA