Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

No manual, no make RPAS registion

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

No manual, no make RPAS registion

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 06:18 AM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No manual, no make RPAS registion

I have been out of flying rc aircraft for a while so when I joined a club this year you can imagine my surprise when I found out about the RPAS deal! After my first attempt I passed and got my certification. Now to register my aircraft. The first one is a Goldberg Tiger2 and I had no problem because I had all the necessary information. The second was a trainer of unknown manufacturer which is quite old and didn't come with any manuals or make. I just listed it as a Sig trainer and I got it registered. There is no other way, that I'm aware of, to register it. Does everyone have a manual for a second hand plane? Some models are obvious who made them and info can be found on them. But if one does not know manufacturer then what? I''ve never seen a manufactures stamp on a plane. There must be hundreds of scratched built resold aircraft out there without manuals!! Kit and arf's too! Try and find a manual for a scratch built aircraft. To which, by the way, I have two! Transport Canada says all flights must have owners manuals for aircraft flown. According to a MACC rep, who was at one of our club meetings, if you have an incident that requires MACC coverage you might not be covered if you don't have all the required materials! Anyone here have a similar experience? Is there a way to register with out manual? I've done what I can to comply but still this MACC issue has me concerned.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 357 Likes on 287 Posts

I moved this from Forum Problems because that's specifically to get support for forum bugs or other issues posting.

While not technically an AMA question its the closest fit and we have lots of our northern friends participate here so I hope you get your answer.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:12 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Let's see if this works here like at other forms;

Propworn

If it works, this will "ping" Dennis hopefully to show up here, He's the only Canadian I know of who regularly frequents our happy lil AMA sandbox ......
Old 04-29-2024, 12:49 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

might try here as well

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m-c-350/

kinda a deserted wasteland, but, that description kinda applies to any Canada<G>
Old 04-30-2024, 05:34 AM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by left seat
I have been out of flying rc aircraft for a while so when I joined a club this year you can imagine my surprise when I found out about the RPAS deal! After my first attempt I passed and got my certification. Now to register my aircraft. The first one is a Goldberg Tiger2 and I had no problem because I had all the necessary information. The second was a trainer of unknown manufacturer which is quite old and didn't come with any manuals or make. I just listed it as a Sig trainer and I got it registered. There is no other way, that I'm aware of, to register it. Does everyone have a manual for a second hand plane? Some models are obvious who made them and info can be found on them. But if one does not know manufacturer then what? I''ve never seen a manufactures stamp on a plane. There must be hundreds of scratched built resold aircraft out there without manuals!! Kit and arf's too! Try and find a manual for a scratch built aircraft. To which, by the way, I have two! Transport Canada says all flights must have owners manuals for aircraft flown. According to a MACC rep, who was at one of our club meetings, if you have an incident that requires MACC coverage you might not be covered if you don't have all the required materials! Anyone here have a similar experience? Is there a way to register with out manual? I've done what I can to comply but still this MACC issue has me concerned.
Most obsolete kits and ARF manuals can be found with a Google search. The best resource for them and plans is a website called Outerzone. Where it is tricky is if you have some one-off scratch build. If that is the case, look up the Transport Canada rules for homebuilt and experimental rated aircraft and see if you can self document the model.

How are these rules being enforced? Will the MACC due an investigation and require a report every time you crash or have a misshap? Here in the US, there is a majority who are just ignoring the rules because there are soo many models and consumer UAVs, that its impossible for the FAA to enforce them. The US also has greatly relaxed its restrictions on model RC flying with the development of FRIA's, Honoring airport use agreements, and allowing one RID module to be used on multiple aircraft and therefore we only need to register the RID module serial number instead of the model.

Good luck to you and we wish those of you in Canada the best in overcoming this bureaucracy.