Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need Advice on Cutting cowl in 33% AW Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need Advice on Cutting cowl in 33% AW Edge

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 06:09 PM
lewdfinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Cutting cowl in 33% AW Edge

I've got the 33% Aeroworks Edge 540T ARF with a ZDZ 80 single and BCM Pitts muffler installed (along with 3 pounds of lead on the nose - Doh!). I have the cowl cut so that it will JUST fit over the head & pipes. How much more (if any) will I need to expose the cylinder for cooling, and should I enlarge the outlet as well? Also will baffles make any difference in the single inverted installation?

The pics are at http://www.ashfordhome.com/draders/edge540t/

Your advice is much appreciated.

KD
Old 07-22-2002, 12:55 AM
T-ster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl Cutout

You will need to enlarge the inlet to give it a direct shot of air. From looking at the front of the plane, I would cut out enough cowl to allow air to hit the fin closest to the engine and about 7/8 to the outside edge on each side.

You will then need around 3 times that opening size for the outlet air. Baffle it so no air is allowed around the engine only through the fins.