Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Choke setup on DA 50

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 03:26 PM
RCFREEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke setup on DA 50

Im new to gassers. I just built a WM 80in extra and fitted it with a DA 50. A few friends of mine have the choke activated thru a manual nyrod mechanism. Is that the right way or do we do it with a servo? Pls advise and also show engine setup photos if possible, especially choke servo pics. Also, is a 14 oz dubro tank enough for 12 mins flights? Where do we mount the pipe coming from the tank exhaust outlet? what refuelling mechanisms do you all use?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Choke setup on DA 50

A few friends of mine have the choke activated thru a manual nyrod mechanism. Is that the right way or do we do it with a servo? Pls advise and also show engine setup photos if possible, especially choke servo pics.
Either way is correct, you can use a servo to allow for an alternate way to shut off the engine. I personnally use a servo. As for pictures, not really needed just set it up the same as a throttle control rod. Really easy...

Also, is a 14 oz dubro tank enough for 12 mins flights? ?
12 minutes, yea, you should be able to get that. I have a 16oz tank in mine and I land after 10 minutes and it's still has half a tank.

Where do we mount the pipe coming from the tank exhaust outlet?
Most people just port this out the bottom. Just a piece of fuel line. No pipe neccessary

what refuelling mechanisms do you all use?
I use a Hand Crank that is safe for gas. Make sure all your fuel system is GAS safe. You will need "tygon" fuel line and a different rubber stoppper for your fuel tank Dubro makes these if you go looking.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:36 PM
RCFREEK

but i plan on giving the throttle a nyrod setup. can i give the choke a 4-40 metal pushrod with a dubro clevis? i hear there's a viration-R/F interference issue that i'm to look out for. whats that? could i hv precautions to keep in mind while setting up a gasser?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:00 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Here are a couple pics of two similar choke setups. They are connected to the choke with dubro swivel ball links. One rod is obviously metal and the other, more preferable method, is carbon rod. You just JB weld the carbon rod into the ball link. I also screw on a nut on the end so I can grip it. Then just velcro the rod to the ignition lead and you are good to go.

Make sure if you use a manual choke that you install a cutoff switch or similar.

Cheers,

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60822.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	342507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34045.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	342508  
Old 10-23-2005, 09:07 AM
RCFREEK

so what ur doing is pulling on the choke rod(metal or C/F) through the opening in the front of the cowl?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:25 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Yup!!

Cheers,

John