Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

bronco

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 04:27 PM
superdave118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bronco

hey
i am thinking of getting the ov-10 bronco from hobby hangar. the giant one. i was wandering if anyone has built one and how hard it is to build. do i have to cut out alot of the parts ie. rib, formers, ext. or does most all of it come cut in the pack they supply. how it the elevator and rudder built? also would a pair of .61s be enough to power this bird with authority? what props would you use.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:25 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Default bronco

Superdave
Three of our club members built the big OVT 10. I had Webra 60 in mine and it did fly but not with athority. It wouldn't fly on one motor for very long. Mine was maxed out with fiberglass cluth pannel lines and rivets it weighted 20 Lbs with flaps and retracts. one other one weighted 18 Lbs, he flew it with Ys91 four strokes and it did fly great. Till the horizontal stab come off in the air.
another one weighted 17 lbs and done with monocote he had 61 four strokes and it would fly but not fast at all. His stab came off too. hope this helps. I also used 2 recievers in mine and it saved a lot of wiring problems. Hope this helps It is an easy plane to build 3 boxes and a constant coard wing. We cut all our kits out, at the time there wasn't a kit avaible. We still had to add a bunch of nose weight even with the batterys in the nose. hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:48 AM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bronco stabs

Baldeagle,
Did you guys ever figure out why the stabs departed? Did you come up with a fix?
Old 01-30-2003, 03:59 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default bronco

My Dad built one from scratch using advice from Rich and his friends. The stab mount was reinforced and the wing was extended to 84". It came out to 21lbs due to using 1/8 mahogany ply, dual receivers and batteries, etc.

It is powered by two Saito 91's and they are a beautiful match! Lots of excess power, and the sound is something to behold.

It is very easy to fly! I was VERY apprehensive about trying to fly it as I had never flown a twin before (and knowing how much time and effort my Dad had put into building this thing!!) However, there was nothing to worry about. The engines have never missed a beat, and a great deal of care was taken to set them slightly on the rich side.

Here is a pic taken by John VH:
Old 01-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Default bronco

Drifter
You just have to beef up where the horiz stab mounts to the vertical stab. If you deside to build the Bronco and need help ,let me know.
Nony
Glad to hear your Dads Bronco flew good, Did you have to add much nose weight too?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:24 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default bronco

Rich...I didn't recognize your handle when I was inquiring about the Islander...

There is some nose weight but I'm not sure exactly how much. My dad also made a functional landing light in the nose so we can at least have fun with some of the ballast

It is unbelieveably smooth to fly. It trims nicely, doesn't hunt around. It flies a very nice (but unscale) knife edge and inverted. The most amazing thing though, is to drop those 4 flaps, add some power to blow air over them, and the Bronco will almost stand still on a calm day......something I haven't pushed yet, but my son has done it several times......