Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Warped trailing edges

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Warped trailing edges

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 05:32 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped trailing edges

I got a Sig Kavalier with a nice milled trailing edge, problem it that it was only 3/8 wide and butts directly to the ends of the ribs.

I put it together and one TE was fine, the other had a 1/8 in wow in it. Really not acceptable, so I split off the trailing edge sheeting and popped off the TE. Now I have a wing with just ribs on it, and no real good way to clamp it to the bench.

I use a 1/2in aluminum angle about 4 feet long for a straightedge when I'm cutting covering, so I clipped this to the trailing edge with clothespins - straighted it right out. Then I glued the TE to the root and tip ribs. This held the TE/angle assembly on nicely.

Glued the rest of the ribs to the TE, took off the angle and the TE was straighter. Put the angle stock back on with clothepins and put new TE sheeting on the bench. Then I put the wing on the sheeting and CAed it to the ribs. All said and done, it is completely straight now.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ahhhhhh.....

That's one of those feelings of satisfaction that an ARF builder will never get

or understand.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:27 PM
John M. Bigelow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped trailing edges

Glass the wood first thined coat first. even then sometimes warp