Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 60 size bluenose P-51 wing

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 60 size bluenose P-51 wing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 AM
JBryson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 60 size bluenose P-51 wing

What are the pros and cons of building the H9 bluenose P-51 wing one piece or leaving it two piece? Would it be better to epoxy the two halves together for added strength or leave it two piece for ease of transport? Comments?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 AM
FallDownGoBoom

Default RE: H9 60 size bluenose P-51 wing

I didn't like the standard wing set up, so I epoxied the wing into a single piece, and then added 1/4x20 T-nuts to the bottom of the wing bolt plates. Then I mounted the wing by with 1/4x20 nylon wing bolts coming in from the canopy side of the wing. That way I didn't end up with holes in the bottom of the wing/air scoop.

I hope you've read the other threads about the Blue Nose. They come out heavier than advertised, probably need more than 60 stroke or .90 four-stroke power, and flight characteristics are non- forgiving. I took off with what I thought was plenty of airspeed and the P-51 tipstalled a couple of feet off the ground and cartwheeled in. Total loss. Those that have managed to get the Blue Nose off the ground say it flys OK, but it's a warbird, not a sport-plane, so you need to pay attention, especially when landing. You may also want to reinforce the landing gear mounts. There were reports of people tearing the retracts out of the wing because the mounts weren't strong enough.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
KOPRITI
My Feedback: (4)

I had one of this, was a nice looking plane but flew bad, was very heavy for its size and wing loading... last flight I put the retracts through the wings. I wouldnt recomend it.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM
JBryson

I have read where it can be a little squirrely. I was thinking about using a DLE 20 for power that I had planned to use in a T/F P-47 but am having second thoughts as the ones I have seen with this engine have the cowling hacked up to make room for the muffler, which looks bad to me.I would like something that will fit without butchering the sides of the cowling, the bottom I can live with. I won this ARF at our last warbird event but I have quite a bit invested in servos and wiring. Added a bit more epoxy to the retract spars and surrounding area as I had heard this was a weak area. Thanks Fred and Kopriti for your comments.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:09 PM
ratherbflyin

Join the wing halves and re-inforce everywhere (firewall,landing gear,etc.etc.). This plane stalls very easy and will snap with no warning. Make sure you have lots of ground speed before takeoff and come in with speed. Wood is soft, overall not a great plane in my opinion. It looks good but Hanger 9 spent too much time worrying about scale looks and very little time thinking about construction and general flight quality.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:07 AM
charlie1960

Ditto what he said.
join the wings, reinforce the retract rails and the firewall.
dont get wild with the control throws, keep them conservative.
too aggresive of a manuver will make it stall.
you'll have to fly this plane TO the ground, ON the ground..
land with atleast 50 degree flaps and power on. i have never seen a plane tipstall as quick as this one does.

it a beautiful warbird, flys like one, acts like one.will bite you on the butt like one.
i flew this plane with a Saito 100 wasnt overly fast but flew well. AUW was a few onces over 10 pounds
there is no SPORT in this plane. good luck.