Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

opinions on Seagull

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

opinions on Seagull

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:54 PM
DinoD60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on Seagull

H Fellas,

I am looking at some Seagull models and wanted to get some opinions from other owners on quality, likes, dislikes, quirks and downright failures, if there are any??

Thank you in advance for any info.

Dino
Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM
ABELL

Default RE: opinions on Seagull

I have one Seagull plane. It's the Extra 260. It seems to be a well built ARF at a very reasonable price. Assembley went well with good instructions. Hard wear was of good quality, even had carbon fiber push rods and this was on a $159 90 sizes plane too. I have been flying it for 2 years now with no issues. I think I've more than got my money's worth out of it. The oly thing I can think of negative to say about it is they had the c/g listed at 100mm and that was tail heavy for my style of flying. I think I settled in on about 85mm.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:44 PM
chepenik

Am currently flying a Seagull Edge 540T fitted with a YS110S. Beautiful flying airplane; easy to assemble, clean lines. I find Seagull models to be great value for your dollar.
Ken
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two thumbs up from me!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Two thumbs up from me!

Same Here.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
charlie1960

i enjoy the seagull extra 300 75 i have.
ST90 and 14x4w
it flys better than i do
Old 10-12-2009, 02:11 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

I have two Seagull planes and like both of them. The 90size Yak was absolutely terrible when I first got it in the air. I balanced it to the manual but it was wrong, and the engine thrust was too low. So after getting the CG correct and shiming the engine to zero degrees, it flies very well. It has an OS 120 and has plenty of power to hover and what ever else I ask it to do. The other Seagull is the Extra 300s. I maidened it this weekend and it flew perfectly. Two clicks of up trim and that was it. If I were you, and maybe you already do this, epoxy in three sided stock on all fire wall and bulkhead areas and anywhere else up front you can put it. The vibration eats up fire walls and I have seen more than one come loose. I do this for every plane. It sure can't hurt. Enjoy your plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86591.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1293444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47629.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1293445  
Old 10-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!

Could you please take and post some pics of your Yak 54?

It seems so nice!

Konstantinos
Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Great value. Slightly heavy, good covering, usable hardware, decent instructions...
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 AM
jbflier

Seagull from Horizon.....Phoenix from Tower....same company and they all are good flying planes..........[8D]
Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Seagull builds some good stuff! I just finished up the Spacewalker 120, I found it to be one of the best arfs I ever put together.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I had their Ultimate. It is agood plane for the money and looks great. Compared to the Goldberg it is heavy and the GB will out fly it.

david
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
skydeuce
My Feedback: (30)

I have owned two Seagull ARFs. The Decathlon and the Ultimate. Both are good flying airplanes and solidly built. Excellent value for the money you pay, and they stand up to a bit of abuse. Components are easy to replace and cheap as well. I dead-sticked my Ultimate into a mature tobacco field and damaged the right wing set leading edges. New wings plugged in and no issues.

The Decathlon is a bit squirrly on the ground, but they all are...
Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
DinoD60

Thank you all for your info and opinions, with your help I have decided and it looks like I will pick up the Seagull 260.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
colin g

seagull planes are of very good quality. hardware is as good as you will get ,and they don`t cost the earth. BUY ONE NOW!!!.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Geardaddys

I have the "60-90" size Seagull Edge540 V2.. Great airplane.. worth every penny of the 179.00 that I paid for it.. Flies really nice with a Saito 125.. Have had no problems with build quality..

Name:	Qo41201.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	1294355  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Biggles Ace Pilot

I bought the Seagull Cap 232. Very impressed with the build quality and flew well except a nasty and quick snap out of a slightly tighter roll which would put it into a stall on its back.
Unfortunately before I could work out how to correct it it happened close to the ground and totaled it.
Just considering if to get another or switch to AeroWorks Extra??
Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 AM
ameyam

Seagull, Black Horse and Phoenix are the same. Actually, they are sister concerns with Phoenix selling well in asian markets, Black Horse and Seagull in European and Americam markets. I have several Phoenix models and one Seagull Edge 46 that is still in the box. Seagull and Black Horse have recently found their way into the Indian market as well. Based on what I have seen, Seagull models are sturdily built but not as sturdy as Phoenix. Phoenix is more sturdily built as most of us fly them from rough fields as against of the the people abroad who fly from tarmac or dedicated fields. In Seagull, the normal reguirements of reinforcing the firewall, LG block apply. But you get a good price with 1st class hardware, usually monokote covering (Oracover), factory pinned nylon hinges (usually), very good hardware etc, some of these can even be obtained in expensive American brands. What you dont get is a lot of choice in models and sometimes manuals are badly written.

If you are buying a well known model, you should get a lot of data on the net from those who have done it before

Ameyam
Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Kostas1

I had better success with BH....
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Kostas1

Have seen the new Seafire from them ;

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10581330]Seagull NEW Supermarine Spitfire AKA Seafire![/link]
Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Biggles Ace Pilot

Has anyone flown the Seagull Cap 232 with success ?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Oberst
Banned

I like Seagull Models. Over all they are very good quality, and the stock hardware can be used. The only model that I didn't like that I built was the Discontinued Seagull Dual Ace, I couldn't figure out the nacelle assembly, I couldn't make anything fit- but I think that was just my lack of building skills more or less than just a bad model.

Seagull Models uses good grade balsa and ply, and uses real Ultra for it's covering. The stickers are of good quality. With most ARF aircraft they are all a hit or miss kind of thing in the quality department. So if I were to buy one Dual Ace, it might be a horrible ARF kit. If I were to buy another one, the next one would most likely be better.

Horizon Hobby has fantastic customer service reps to help you with any problems that you might run accross, and they are happy to answer any of your questions. I like them better than Tower, but that's only a opinion.

The first picture was taken 3 years ago of my first Seagull .90 Extra 260. It had a O.S.91FX in it and I had a ball flying it. I'm sorry to say I did a low knife edge and a gust of wind and pilot error helped me crash it. But the plane was so nice, I bought another one.

Now the second one has a Discontinued 1983 O.S. FS 1.20 (Before Surpass) in it. I haven't flown it yet, but I'm sure she'll fly nice and I'll have a little more power.

So if your interested in Seagull Models I say go for it! The pictures and box art doesn't do Seagull models justice. All their models are very good looking and from what I hear, they all seem to fly nice.

Pete

Name:	Yw69016.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1632511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw26764.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1632512  
Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
gramps45

i got the .60 size spacwalker and .90 yak 54 good quality best but for the dollar. imo
Old 07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: Oberst

I like Seagull Models. Over all they are very good quality, and the stock hardware can be used. The only model that I didn't like that I built was the Discontinued Seagull Dual Ace, I couldn't figure out the nacelle assembly, I couldn't make anything fit- but I think that was just my lack of building skills more or less than just a bad model.

Seagull Models uses good grade balsa and ply, and uses real Ultra for it's covering. The stickers are of good quality. With most ARF aircraft they are all a hit or miss kind of thing in the quality department. So if I were to buy one Dual Ace, it might be a horrible ARF kit. If I were to buy another one, the next one would most likely be better.

Horizon Hobby has fantastic customer service reps to help you with any problems that you might run accross, and they are happy to answer any of your questions. I like them better than Tower, but that's only a opinion.

The first picture was taken 3 years ago of my first Seagull .90 Extra 260. It had a O.S.91FX in it and I had a ball flying it. I'm sorry to say I did a low knife edge and a gust of wind and pilot error helped me crash it. But the plane was so nice, I bought another one.

Now the second one has a Discontinued 1983 O.S. FS 1.20 (Before Surpass) in it. I haven't flown it yet, but I'm sure she'll fly nice and I'll have a little more power.

So if your interested in Seagull Models I say go for it! The pictures and box art doesn't do Seagull models justice. All their models are very good looking and from what I hear, they all seem to fly nice.

Pete

I had the Dual Ace and you are right..........the nacelles are a chore but I did manage to get them to look very good. I also have the Zero which they discontinued. I have to say that both models were very good.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I think Seagull arfs are at the high end of the scale, I have assembled a few of them, nice ships. I just can't help but wonder where in Vietnam they are being constructed and shipped from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.