Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

NOSE OR TAIL HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:07 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOSE OR TAIL HEAVY

I MOUNTED A GAS ENGINE in a arf super stick , the plane fly's but ,when in flight it seems to have a tail sag,however I have to give it slight UP at times in fligh when its in a slower flying mode.I dont know what to do take some lead out of the tail or add some,What do you suggest?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48865.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	330018  
Old 09-27-2005, 06:22 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NOSE OR TAIL HEAVY

Did you actually balance the plane before flight and when the fuel tank was empty?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 AM
scottfl78

Could be nose heavy and the amount of up elev deflection/trim you are using is kinda plowing the wing through the air.. Does it slow down to land nicely? If not then you are definitely nose heavy.. However if it is very sensitive on the elevator than you are tail heavy.. It should balance around 1/3 the way back from the LE looking at the pic..
Old 09-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

IT sounds like it is nose heave with a little too much up thrust
As power is applied, you have to add down to keep it going straight but when you slow down, you have to add up because of the nose heavy condition.
ORIGINAL: suzonka

I MOUNTED A GAS ENGINE in a arf super stick , the plane fly's but ,when in flight it seems to have a tail sag,however I have to give it slight UP at times in fligh when its in a slower flying mode.I dont know what to do take some lead out of the tail or add some,What do you suggest?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:18 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: scottfl78

Could be nose heavy and the amount of up elev deflection/trim you are using is kinda plowing the wing through the air.. Does it slow down to land nicely? If not then you are definitely nose heavy.. However if it is very sensitive on the elevator than you are tail heavy.. It should balance around 1/3 the way back from the LE looking at the pic..
It slows down nice for a landing but blooms up a bit, I have a hard time keeping it down, If I give it just a smige of throttle it wants to take off again
Old 09-27-2005, 06:23 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Did you actually balance the plane before flight and when the fuel tank was empty?
Yes I balanced it to specs 1/8th inch rearward OF THE MAIN SPAR this is my landing findings[It slows down nice for a landing but blooms up a bit, I have a hard time keeping it down, If I give it just a smige of throttle it wants to take off again ]
Old 09-27-2005, 06:42 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

If I understand what you are saying.

Try flying at medium/normal speed then cut the throttle if it balloons (climbs), you either have a tail heavy condition (stab can't compensate) or you have to much down thrust. I would also check my incidences.
There might be a combination of both.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:15 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: RTK

If I understand what you are saying.
Try flying at medium/normal speed then cut the throttle if it balloons
(climbs), you either have a tail heavy condition (stab can't compensate) or you have to much down thrust. I would also check my incidences.
There might be a combination of both.
OK Ill try it this week end[flying at medium/normal speed ]
Old 09-27-2005, 07:42 PM
babflyer
My Feedback: (2)

I had a 60size hanger 9 super stick and it flew with the tail low, looked funny but liked to fly that way. I have seen some other sticks fly with a low tail also.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:00 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: babflyer

I had a 60size hanger 9 super stick and it flew with the tail low, looked funny but liked to fly that way. I have seen some other sticks fly with a low tail also.
Say babflyer is this a fact , just a characteristic of the plane?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

All 3 of my sticks from 40 size to Giant flew/fly with a slightly tail down atitude.
I have had a fair share of balooning planes on landing and it has always been a slight tail heavy condition causing it.
How does it fly inverted.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:42 AM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: andyt

All 3 of my sticks from 40 size to Giant flew/fly with a slightly tail down atitude.
I have had a fair share of balooning planes on landing and it has always been a slight tail heavy condition causing it.
How does it fly inverted.
I havn't tried it yet but I will thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 06:43 AM
beepee

The appearance of the fuselage in flight ("tail down attitude") is not a result of the CG location. It is the result of the wing incidence. The wing is going to fly at the angle of attack necessary to obtain the required lift. The fuselage angle in the air then is the combination of that angle of attack and the wing incidence.

Bedford
Old 09-28-2005, 07:47 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: beepee

The appearance of the fuselage in flight ("tail down attitude") is not a result of the CG location. It is the result of the wing incidence. The wing is going to fly at the angle of attack necessary to obtain the required lift. The fuselage angle in the air then is the combination of that angle of attack and the wing incidence.

Bedford
thanks for the information
Old 09-29-2005, 12:04 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Methinks beepee is onto something. If the incidence is set wrong, it can definately cause the tail to sag as you describe. It would seem in this condition that the sagging angle of the horizontal stab at the tail is causing an in flight reaction much like down elevator input. This could explain why you must keep giving it up elevator at times, even though the tail is still drooping.

ZZ.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:17 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, But I do not think that would cause a ballooning affect on landing.

ORIGINAL: suzonka
It slows down nice for a landing but blooms up a bit, I have a hard time keeping it down,
Old 09-29-2005, 04:50 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Is That a 25-50cc gasser on the nose of that 40 size stick??!![X(] Thats a red flag to me
Old 09-29-2005, 06:01 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: taildragger21

Is That a 25-50cc gasser on the nose of that 40 size stick??!![X(] Thats a red flag to me
[&:] YES RICK ITS A 25 CC SMALL ONE IT PULLS THE PLANE NICE EXCEPT FOR THE CG PROBLEM i HAVE AND iM WORKING ON/
Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Kyflychick

[8D]
Old 09-29-2005, 09:41 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Did you move everything you could towards the tail... ??? With all that weight up front I would hate to have dead weight.. You need to keep the wing loading down with that much weight.. Did you reinforce the firewall?? Strong servos?? beef the tail section and wing joint?? Sorry, I'm not trying to tick you off , but with that small a model, and that nuch motor/weight on the nose, many things can go wrong and can be dangerous.. Plus lots of wieght make's the plane fly horrible.. I know you think it doesn't fly that bad, but if you built another wityh a satio 100 or equivalent glow engine you would see and feel how much better the plane would fly, and I would almost say have almost as much power.. Plus Lighter wing loading! Sorry to critique, but I am just trying to give advice..
Old 09-29-2005, 10:00 PM
b100

the 2x4 between the gear & the fuselage could be the problem?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:59 PM
suzonka

Thats actually a stack of 1/8in hardwood sheets and the front under the fuse is tappered as to not cause to much drag
Old 09-29-2005, 11:19 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: taildragger21

Did you move everything you could towards the tail... ??? With all that weight up front I would hate to have dead weight.. You need to keep the wing loading down with that much weight.. Did you reinforce the firewall?? Strong servos?? beef the tail section and wing joint?? Sorry, I'm not trying to tick you off , but with that small a model, and that nuch motor/weight on the nose, many things can go wrong and can be dangerous.. Plus lots of wieght make's the plane fly horrible.. I know you think it doesn't fly that bad, but if you built another wityh a satio 100 or equivalent glow engine you would see and feel how much better the plane would fly, and I would almost say have almost as much power.. Plus Lighter wing loading! Sorry to critique, but I am just trying to give advice..
Yes I beefed up eveything and I just shifted things around to get a more nose heavy condition,I had this very same motor in a sig four star 60 and it didnt fly as well but the super stick with its thick wing fly's more stable, Ill test fly it this week end.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91440.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	331375