Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Byron F16 fuel tank (pressurized?)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byron F16 fuel tank (pressurized?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 11:42 AM
CRP
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron F16 fuel tank (pressurized?)

I'm building a Byron F16 and just installed the double fuel tanks that came with the kit. My question is: has anyone ever put a pressure line from the tuned pipe to the tank? The manual doesn't call for one but my limited experience with engines have always had a line from the muffler to the tank. In looking at the top tank, there is an extra nipple and my tuned pipe has the other pressure nipple. Suggestions would be appreciated. I haven't fired up the OS .91 yet.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Jackjet

Default Re: Byron F16 fuel tank (pressurized?)

Originally posted by CRP
I'm building a Byron F16 and just installed the double fuel tanks that came with the kit. My question is: has anyone ever put a pressure line from the tuned pipe to the tank? The manual doesn't call for one but my limited experience with engines have always had a line from the muffler to the tank. In looking at the top tank, there is an extra nipple and my tuned pipe has the other pressure nipple. Suggestions would be appreciated. I haven't fired up the OS .91 yet.
CRP ,
just get a 32 oz. soda bottle - install the Du Bro tank fittings in the cap - run 2 lines - pressure and feed - and you have a nice fuel system that will run 15 mins with a Rossi.90 -OS.91.

Jackjet
Old 03-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Jackjet

Default Re: Re: Byron F16 fuel tank (pressurized?)

Originally posted by Jackjet

CRP ,
just get a 32 oz. soda bottle - install the Du Bro tank fittings in the cap - run 2 lines - pressure and feed - and you have a nice fuel system that will run 15 mins with a Rossi.90 -OS.91.

Jackjet
PS -this soda bottle fuel system works GREAT on all Byron jets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	63122_406.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	38623  
Old 03-15-2003, 05:07 PM
JIMMYTHEEAGLE
My Feedback: (47)

Whether you use Jack's set-up which works great or the Byron set-up you have, you'll need either muffler pressure or pitot pressure to keep the motor running. I recommend the tuned pipe pressure setu-up for either of the above tank configurations since you already have a pipe with a pressure fitting. Jim
Old 03-15-2003, 09:46 PM
CRP

Thanks Jack, I'll try it tomorrow.
CRP
Old 03-16-2003, 03:20 AM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Default tank pressure for F-16

I have a Byron F-16 with the two tank set up and don't run a pressure line. I have flown it this way for two years and it runs great. It has a os77 and a friend of mine that has one but now fly's turbines says it runs better than his os91 did. You ever heard of Lewis Patton? HE KNOWS HIS STUFF.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:22 AM
CRP

Conflicting ideas and information. Tell you what. I'll try it first without the pressure and then with the pressure and see which is better.
Thanks guys! Jim, Jack and Doug.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:37 AM
rcs1313

Default Byron Tank setup--don't use pressure

CRP,

I am surprised someone didn't explain the Byron setup to you. First are you using the Byron fuel manifold with this tank setup?

If so, then it doesn't need pipe pressure to make it work. The reason Byron made the tanks in the piggyback form was for head pressure in the lower tank to stay constant while the upper tank was feeding the lower one.

You will notice that the smaller 8oz tank only runs half full (using the Byron manifold system ). There is an aluminum tube that extends from the upper tank down into the 3 dimensional center of the lower tank. This in effect will keep 4 oz of fuel in the lower tank at all times and keep the head pressure constant.

It worked very well. The downside was, going inverted only allow you the 4 oz of fuel and staying inverted for any length of time would result in a lean run very quickly as that was all the fuel that was available to the engine....The major problem in the system was the "O " rings on the manifold slider ( spool valve, I think they called it ). They needed to be replaced on a regular basis as they would wear and leak air into the system. The engine would then run lean and you could turn the needle valve clear out and it would still be lean..

The other flaw in the system, if you want to call it a flaw, was the hot glue connection between the upper and lower tanks. Over a period of time the nylon tanks lose their grip on the glue and same problem, air leak, lean engine run.The nylon tanks are petroleum products and will get an oily film on them that leaches out of the material over time. I had several failures in this area over a period of 20 years using the Byron products....

I also tried at one time to add pipe pressure to this system and it didn't work very well at all. In fact it is the fastest way to cause the hot glue joint to fail that I can think of !!!!! So unless you have lots of spare Byron tank setups , I would not advise adding pipe pressure to his system.

If you decide to replace the Byron system....Jackjet has a proven method that works also very well........the soda bottle...... then use pressure.

Rod Springer
Old 03-17-2003, 03:48 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Dual Tanks

Many years ago I had a F-16 and I used a large fuel tank 16-18 oz I think. And I had a 2oz header tank right next to the OS .91 carb it ran great. I could never get the Byron tank to work I think maybe it was the manifold that was my undoing. I don't recall if I ran pipe preasure but I think I did.
Sparkyw
Old 03-18-2003, 12:22 PM
CRP

Rod,
Thanks for the info on the two tank system. I checked the rubber o rings on my manifold and they seem OK. I'll run it the way it was designed and when air leaks start springing up, I'll switch to Jack's coke bottle system. Thanks again for the explaination.
CRP
Old 03-18-2003, 09:35 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Byron F16

Just FYI ...... On my Byron F16 I am using the supplied 2-tank setup (but without their sliding manifold gizmo) with pipe pressure. It works fine. On one flight, after landing and taxiing in, I noticed the pipe pressure line dangling under the plane (it had come off of the pipe). If I did not notice it, I would not have known ..... the OS 91 kept running fine. Bob
Old 03-21-2003, 02:33 PM
rcs1313

Default Byron tank setup

BalsaBob,

The reason it kept running, as you described, was because of the constant 4 oz of fuel in the lower tank being supplied by the upper tank.The head pressure was staying constant.

When I tried the pressure route on his system, I was still trying to use the manifold. Which tank were you running the pressure to?

Just be aware of the hot glue joint problem, using pressure in this tank setup that will cause flexing, ( from expansion and contraction of the tanks), will eventuallly hasten the failure of this joint and cause an air leak. If for some reason you start having lean run problems.....look there first....

Rod
Old 03-24-2003, 02:03 AM
SNestle
My Feedback: (3)

Well CRP... here's my fix,
I to have a byron F-16 and I have flown it once so far. (Ran out of good weather here in Michigan last Fall). Here's my fuel tank setup.
I have 2 16oz cylindrical tanks mounted on either side of the engine. They fit quite nicely in the "Saddle" area that forms the wing part of the fuse. Then I have a 4oz tank mounted on the bottom of the intake duct.
Plumbing 101 - Pressure line from pipe to tank #1. Fuel pick-up line from tank #1 to pressure line of tank #2. Fuel pick-up line from tank #2 to pressure line of tank #3 (4oz). Fuel pick-up line from tank #3 to carb.
This seems to work great so far. I am not the only one using this type of plumbing. I got the idea from somebody else on here. Sorry, I can't remember his name right now.