Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Can Anyone Recommend a Good Setup Stand?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Can Anyone Recommend a Good Setup Stand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 02:24 PM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Anyone Recommend a Good Setup Stand?

Hi, Have recently finished a 1/5 scale Pica T-28 and almost finished a 1/4 scale Ohio Sukhoi. Both will need a field assembly stand which, up until now, I haven't needed. I'd prefer one that doesn't take too much work to put together. (I'm burned out on building things for awhile ). Any recommendations or web sites? Thanks very much. JD
Old 05-02-2002, 02:41 PM
a4tune8one-RCU

Check out crusadertoys.com. They have a nice arf type stand that comes assembled but needs to be finnished. I have one and feel it is a great value. It will is adjustable to accomodate very large planes as well as the smaller glow planes.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:29 PM
Iflyrc4fun
My Feedback: (132)

HI JD,

Check out Don's Hobbies in Arizona. They have a web site at www.donshobbyshop.com and advertise in the mags often. They have two real nice metal stands that work great. One is larger and has a work tray and the other is knocks down quickly for transportation, is adjustable and just works great. These are larger type stands so when your plane is on them you stand next to it to for working on your model. I believe both stands have a capacity of around 60 pounds. I love mine and have had several friends buy them after seeing mine.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:42 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ummm.......Don's is in Salina, Kansas. Yes they would have what your looking for.

I've made several out of PVC. I have one particular configuration that seems to work out for building as well as field set-up. I have one for most of my planes.

I can relate though at being burnt on building...this building binge I've been on has been well over 2 yrs. I've got just a few months to go, and then I'm taking small(very small) vacation.
I say that now though, and something will come up. Oh well...as long as it's planes.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:45 AM
BDL

JDHammer

I have both the Crusadertoys and the Stand "Pro Stand II" from Don's hobby in Kansas and prefer the Crusader Toys model. It is more expensive, however it is fully adjustable to handle a large variety of different size models. The Pro Stand I and II have a fixed fuse width brackets and accept the larger size FAI planes.

BDL
Old 05-06-2002, 01:49 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go by Harbor Freight and look for a metal tube stand. It sells for about $13. Turn it upside down and move the pivot point up to where the two legs on each end are now about 18" from the pivot point. Now get a sleeve of refrigerant pipe insulation for the legs. They now form a V that your plane can rest in. One of the cheapest, yet functional stands I have ever used. I carry mine folded up on the inside of the back door of my trailer.

Vince
Old 05-06-2002, 11:14 PM
JDHammer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm also considering one that's on hughesrc.com. ....So many gadgets in this sport.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:54 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aircraft Stand

JD;
Here is mine Plans are almost finished, as doing them from the hip just wasn't giving me the exact results I wanted.

Here is a Picture with a Brand new 2M on the Stand as well as the pictures you'll see in more detail on the link.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...824&forumid=63]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10447_88.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	6894  
Old 05-07-2002, 02:05 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JD, take a close look at the Hughs stand. It costs $50. I went to Lowes, bought the parts (PVC pipe) for about $10 and put it together in about a 1/2 hour. Then I got a tray that fits in between the cross bars to put all my stuff in works great.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:05 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I bought mine from Sidewalk Flyers it works great. They also make one of the best flight boxes I've seen.