Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 11:27 PM
rc_boy_12
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I get?

Well, after flying for a while,i have decided to go with a big plane..the question is ,what one? I want one with around a 68-75 inch wingspan and able to put a gas engine...I aint full of money so i cant spend a 1000 dollars but i just need an ARF Either Cap, Extras, Edge, Giles, one of them.for a gas engine...maybe a Fuji Gas enigne,,

any suggestions would be nice
Old 01-28-2003, 12:21 AM
rc_boy_12

Default No Replies?

Come on people,this is the giant scale forum...les get some replies PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 03:57 PM
BATRIPP

RC Boy,
I think the reason you didn't get many replys is we all know that big planes are going to be an expensive undertaking. Maybe you could find someone down there with a used ACFT motor combo that you could get into on a budget.
For my part I was shocked at how much money you end up sinking into any large aircraft. Those 42oz servos just won't cut it on the big control surfaces, and the 600 ma battery packs don't power those higher load servos..... It kinda sprials out of control. On the other hand.... they do fly better...

Cheers,
BT
Old 01-28-2003, 04:02 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Big is fun, but expsensive. If you want to go big and not a fortune, get a Dynaflight PT-19 and a US-41cc engine. That combo flies great and is a blast. I can do as many aerobatics with my 19 as I do with my G-202. The 19 won't hover, but I haven't tried that hard yet. You can get the kit for about $120 if you look, and the engine for around $200. It runs great and flies like a dream. How much experience do you have? Are you ready for a large aerobatic that will be more difficult to fly and very expensive to crash? Just wondering.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest either a Great Planes 1/4 Giles or look in the swap shop here and try to pick up a Hangar 9 Cap, the one in the Matt Chapman scheme. Either of those will be under $250. That's about as cheap as they will get.

As for the engine, an MVVS 1.6 on gas would be a nice choice. Or you could go with an RCS 1.8. These engines won't give you any excess power though. You would need a ZDZ 40 to get into the unlimited stuff. The ZDZ 40 sportsman is $430.

Still, you are going to end up close to $1000 when it's all said and done.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:17 PM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Best bang for the buck in your case would be to stay with glow. An OS 1.6 FX will have the reliability and power you need for most 1/4 scale 73" planes. The 1/4 GP giles 202 is a good choice, but it is a fragile airplane, won't take beating up too good. I've just replaced mine with a Lanier Edge, another good choice I think. But Creek hobbies has 1/4 planes for 199 I think that get awsome revews.
RickP
Old 01-31-2003, 08:40 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

we'll talk about this on Sunday
Old 02-01-2003, 07:02 PM
rc_boy_12