Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

1/4 H9 CAP 232 servo torque?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/4 H9 CAP 232 servo torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 08:55 AM
Tek
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 H9 CAP 232 servo torque?

What is the minimum servo torque needed for this plane on each control service? Thanks, Joseph
Old 01-31-2003, 10:11 AM
Giant Scale

Depending on your flying style you could probably get away with using a standard torque servo. However, I would not recommend using a standard torque servo in this plane. A servo with at least 70 oz/inches of torque would be a better bet for the control surfaces. If it was me I'd go with a hitec 5645 digital or jr4721. You could probably get away with less torque on the elevators and ailerons but you want plenty of authority on the rudder. Every one has their opinion, I tend to err on the side of caution and use a servo with more torque than needed. For my large planes I use the 5645 or 5945 on almost all surfaces, even on throttle. For my fun fly I have standard servo's on ailerons, 5645's on elevator and rudder and a mini servo on throttle. My trainer has standard servo's throughout. Some people can't justify spending a couple hundred dollars on servo's for a $50 plane.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Tek
My Feedback: (10)

I have some 62oz servos laying around would that be sufficient? I always thought that the elevator would need more torque then the other control surfaces since the rudder is the pull-pull type.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:15 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on flying this airplane with even a fraction of its performance envelope you need 1/4-scale servo torgue on all flight control surfaces. You can obtain this using Hitec HS-605s or HS-5600s for example. The rudder is your largest control surface area. It needs more torgue than the elevator. The elevator can easily by split across 2 servos if you have a computer controlled radio or purchase a servo reverser. As a matter of fact it is much easier to match the elevator with separate servos then trying to match it with a physical y-connector that the plans call for.

My configuration:

(2) HS-5625s for elevator ("AILEVATOR" function on Futaba 9C)
(2) HS-5625s for airlon ("FLAPERON" function)
(1) HS-5645 for rudder (Dubro 4-40 pull-pull)
(1) HS-422 for throttle.

Initially, I'm going with a dual battery/switch configuration, using a 2100mah NIMH on an MPI "Miracle" switch, and a 1500mah NIMH on a standard MPI dual-pole switch. I have lost 3 airplanes in the past due to loss of radio control. I have never definetively been able to figure out the problem and suspect bad switches. So now I have 2 switches, 2 batteries, and one of those switches has a circuit on it that will electronically close the switch if it detects a problem. If I loose this airplane from loss of radio control I will give up this hobby.