Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

No more wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 AM
stevens4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more wheelies

I have been in RC a long time but took a long break. My 4.6 used to do wheelies so much it was almost no fun. However I feel like I am missing out since it no longer does them. I have removed the baffle, the engine is tuned great, shocks are firm, spur is tight. What else should I try?

Steven
Old 10-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Midget

Default RE: No more wheelies

Before you go spending money on a Larger spur gear (52T)
I guessing you have the Plastic Clutch Shoes. If thats the case than you could roughen them up a bit
with some sand paper. Than the same with the clutch bell, Just sand the inside a little.
You could also tighten your sliper clutch Nut (The one that holds the Spur gear on) all the way up.
Fuel allso Makes a BIG differences in engine Power, Make sure it's nice a fresh, and good quality.
Also, Not sure on the Condition of your tyers, But if there Worn down, than your prolly not getting any grip.
anothing thing thing you could try is Raise your savvy and tighten your shocks...
And thats about all the stuff you can check with out spending any $$$
Old 10-04-2008, 09:50 AM
SportsFans

Yup to the clutch shoes. I'd go with a new set on aluminum shoes like the [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynamite-Max-life-Aluminum-Clutch-Shoe-Set_W0QQitemZ400001139366QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item4 00001139366&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2% 7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14]Dynamite Max-life Aluminum Clutch Shoe Set[/link] .
Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stevens4x

I have been in RC a long time but took a long break. My 4.6 used to do wheelies so much it was almost no fun. However I feel like I am missing out since it no longer does them. I have removed the baffle, the engine is tuned great, shocks are firm, spur is tight. What else should I try?

Steven
Worn out clutch shoes? Weather change? Check the shoes and retune the carb.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 AM
BudBud

Check the outdrive on your transmission and the rear pinion to make sure you nid not lose a shaft set screw. Are your brakes still locking up both sets of tires? If the rear set is rolling, it is probably the pinion set screw. I have also run into broken pinions causing what you describe. Bud

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDLG9&P=M]Set screws[/link]

Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Midget

Ouch BudBud, was that Pinion Shimmed, or did it brake from "Hard" Bashing?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:28 AM
stevens4x

Man ya'll must sleep like I do. Thanks everyone. I noticed when I roll my truck backwards the gears don't sound too pretty and the drives seem a little loose. Maybe I need to check bbs. I had my engine out to see why my clutch bell was sticking out too far. I glanced at the shoes but didn't really think much about them. bummer. Guess I'll do that again. I'll let you know. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: Midget

Ouch BudBud, was that Pinion Shimmed, or did it brake from "Hard" Bashing?
It was in an XL I bought from a frustrated member. It would not wheelie and he got tired of fighting it. Obviously, it had a problem. I replaced the pinion and never had to shim it, it is still running strong, so Iam guessing he landed a jump under power or cartwheeled with the throttle on. I fixed it and posted a video, then offered it back to him for the same money, but he had enough of it I guess. I really did not need the 6th Savage XL. (at that time it was six) I was just trying to help the guy out. Bud
Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 AM
black mamba

With a pinion gear like that, wheelies should've been the least of his worries............................I'm surprised he didn't hear the gear crunching actually.[&:]
Old 10-04-2008, 05:57 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

What's this shimming of the pinion that I'm reading?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 AM
black mamba

Shimming the pinion sets the amount of depth of the pinion into the diff housing, thus affecting how it engages the ring gear. It's a critical measurement. As is shimming the diff case/ring gear....this sets the contact clearance between the ring gear and pinion. If these settings are off, you will have gear issues.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 PM
scott_199

Just what I need to hear, Ive gone threw two pinions that looked just like that, but I didnt know they had to be shimmed, would you be able to describe the shimming process and where I could get the shims from if I dont have any??? it would be really helpfull because those little suckers are 13 dollars each.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:56 AM
stevens4x

My clutch shoes were way worn. I don't know how they grabbed at all. Wish I would have changed them first before port/polish. Oh well.

I bought a replacement set when I bought the truck so I am using them. Maybe I'll upgrade them next time.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Parputt537

Also keep in mind that aluminum shoes are not always a "fix all". I can not run aluminum shoes on my LRP Spec. 3 with Robinson Racing clutch bell and spur. They will not grab at all.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:46 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

On my Revo, I had a similar problem. Everything was tuned, no problems anywhere... but it just wouldn't pop up... my problem was a bad O-ring in the HSN... eventually caused it to de-tune itself at WOT... I changed the O-ring... and INSTANTLY it was MUCH more powerful. I'd look at that too... especially if it's been sitting a long time...