Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Smoke/Fumes from the Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
locksmack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke/Fumes from the Fuel Tank

Hello Everyone.

Quick question - After a while of running my RS4 Evo (which runs great, appears to be tuned), I open the fuel tank and there is like fumes/smoke coming out of it, not very thick. Is this normal? I presume it is coming from the pipe pressure hose thing.

On the same note, it appears after a while of running, when this smoke problem happens, I get some air bubbles in my fuel line, sometimes causing it to stall (and I have to prime it again).

Anyone know what the deal is? I have it tuned to what I think is right. I have great performance and it blows plenty of blue smoke and idles fine.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Smoke/Fumes from the Fuel Tank

Let it be, that smoke aint doin' anything to you!

Nah, seriously, it is okay to see smoke in the fuel tank. Afterall, the exhaust pipe presurizes the fuel tank by way of the tank pressurization line, so some exhaust is bound to enter that tank.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
locksmack

Ahh okay makes sense then.

What about my air bubbles in my fuel line? It only seems to happen when the car is running hot...and 'possibly' when it is under half a tank of fuel.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't if the vibration is causing it or what... I see the fuel is boiling...maybe vibration effect
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Try using a small o-ring on the outside of the fuel line at the fitting as a clamp. This may stop some of the air bubbles you see in the line.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: locksmack

Ahh okay makes sense then.

What about my air bubbles in my fuel line? It only seems to happen when the car is running hot...and 'possibly' when it is under half a tank of fuel.
How many bubbles? Lots and big? Or a few and very small? Do they travel down the tube, or hang around at the highest point?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
locksmack

Probably about 1cm long, so not HUGE but not mini bubbles.

It is possible they might sit at the highest point of the tube, I never really noticed. Is this normal?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Foxy

1cm long is absolutely ENORMOUS. You definitely have an issue and your tuning must be thrown way out when they pass into the engine causing a lean condition. This has nothing to do with the smoke in the tank which is perfectly normal. Do you have an inline fuel filter? If so, do the bubbles form before or after the filter, or both? If you don't have a filter, or they are formed before it, then you should first replace ALL the fuel lines, and if it still does it, consider replacing the fuel tank as the next step, as they're not expensive. You should not be having bubbles that big forming in your lines except right at the last few seconds of the tank or after a run of big jumps (since it's an on-road car, I guess this doesn't apply. At least I hope so! lol).
Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
locksmack

Hmm interesting, thanks for that mate.

The bubble just seems to sit at the highest point of the fuel line, doesnt actually hit the carb.

I don't believe I have a filter.

I will take her for a run today and see if I can notice anything more.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Foxy

If it just sits there, stationary, then ignore everything I said, it should be ok. Still a 1cm bubble is big... I dunno mate go with your instincts, if you get an erratic idle, and you find yourself retuning every run, this may be a factor, if it seems to run fine, don't worry about it.

Was it an RTR? IF so, then when they sit on the shelves for a few months, the fuel lines expand around the niopples on the carb and fuel tanks, and often let a little air in. When I buy an RTR I always change the fuel lines for brand new before I run it, they just seal better, and it's so cheap it just makes sense.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

1cm long is absolutely ENORMOUS. You definitely have an issue and your tuning must be thrown way out when they pass into the engine causing a lean condition. This has nothing to do with the smoke in the tank which is perfectly normal. Do you have an inline fuel filter? If so, do the bubbles form before or after the filter, or both? If you don't have a filter, or they are formed before it, then you should first replace ALL the fuel lines, and if it still does it, consider replacing the fuel tank as the next step, as they're not expensive. You should not be having bubbles that big forming in your lines except right at the last few seconds of the tank or after a run of big jumps (since it's an on-road car, I guess this doesn't apply. At least I hope so! lol).

+1 you need to get new lines and maybe a tank
Old 01-17-2009, 07:38 PM
locksmack

Yeah it was RTR.

Haven't had a chance to do more testing but I will likely just change the lines and tank anyway - they aren't going to be too expensive.

Thanks so much for your replies everyone.