Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

nitro to diesel engine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Mr. Nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro to diesel engine conversion

I know there is kits for airplanes that convert the engine from running on nitro to diesel, but is there any for cars?? Can the ones for planes be used on car engines?? Thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 08:45 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default RE: nitro to diesel engine conversion

You just gotta find yourself a "car engine". What I mean is, something that will fit the bill.

I ended up with a Davis diesel head for an OS .21 RFB. When I get out of being broke, I'm gonna see if I can find an RVB motor and try to dieselize it.

Obviously you know why, but leme say that your engine life is go up by a LOT and you will get a lot more torque.

No you wont turn as fast but, better fuel economy and more torque sure is worth it!
And R/C Diesel blend (NOT what you get at a gas station) is about 18 bucks a gallon. Given the fact that it'll last twice as long as a gallon of nitro, you've got nothin to complain about!

-Ram
Old 10-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Mr. Nitro

Thanks for the reply...instead of getting a diesel head (which would probably be impossible to find for a Duratrax TORQ .16 motor) aren't they're adapters that screw into the glow plug hole and convert them that way? Also, according to an R/C Modeler Mag article, you can buy regular diesel just like out of the pump at gas stations, and mix it with a can of starting fluid (that sprays onto the air filter of a 4-wheeler or whatever to help it start cold) and you will have an r/c mixture. I'm not sure of the exact gallon to mix ratio, but I'll figure that out later.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:59 PM
rclooney

if you want more power try petrol. i had some in a filler bottle and just fulled it with nitro and put it in my car. wasn't much. slightly harder to start, but it ran faster, sounded better and took off faster. not my fault if you try it and bust your car by crashing it or summin. lol.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:45 PM
nitrofan

Wow. Gasoline, huh? How much did you add to the nitro fuel? how much hotter did it run? Id like to hear more about that one!
Old 10-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Aterlatus

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

The way these nitrous engines work is mainly through compression. Standard "gasoline" (petrol where I come from) is mainly octane, which doesn't tend to explode under compression - hence the need for a spark plug in a standard car.

I really can't imagine a car running at all on petrol, let alone running better...

I've love to know more
Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 AM
rclooney

only a slight ammount of petrol. about 5-10cc in a 500cc filler bottle. i would sugest a low octane fuel. 95 octane(ish)
Old 10-06-2003, 05:47 PM
dodgy Guy who luvs rc

gasoline ai blew my old trx2.5 in my t maxx so i put a ege trimmer engin onit ang my dad made a custom exahaust (he is a meatle worker) in runs for like an hour without refill and it has POWER once i put some nitro in my feul And in freeken FLEW
sorry this is a bit off the subject