Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Robart hinge help, just glued my first set

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Robart hinge help, just glued my first set

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:59 PM
ThankYouVeterans
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart hinge help, just glued my first set

I just glued my rudder in. The glue has been curing for about 1 1/2 hours. The rudder's movement is still good.

I put some oil in the nuckle joints. I put a piece of tape over each hole as advised by a member here so that it helps keep the glue from foaming out as much.

I have one concern. The bottom hinge pushed a little too deep into the fuselage portion. The pin is about a 1/16 of an inch inside the bevel's edge. Another words, more of the hinge is in the fuselage.

Movement seems very good right now, and I glued it at my office so I am checking it every 20 minutes. Is there anything to be concerned about? I am picking the ProBond away as it expands out a little. There has been very little seapage. The holes were drilled very snug.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Robart hinge help, just glued my first set

If you keep moving the rudder as the pro Bond dries, the hinge will probably work itself out onto a plane with the other hinges. Try not to let your"covers" get glued into place. They will be the devil to get off later. I still go the old fashioned way and fill the hinge "knuckle" with Vaseline to keep the glue out of it. It's a little messy to clean up, but it always works. I don't bother trying to keep the glue from seeping, I just wipe it all down every so often as needed with a paper towell saoked in acetone. It also helps to clean out the vaseline as the job progresses.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:00 PM
ThankYouVeterans
My Feedback: (2)

Appreciate the input.

Everything turned out good. The rudder moves freely. I got my gap at the counter balance a little too close and it is lightly rubbing. I marked my trailing edge with a paper clip stuck between the two pieces, but when I drilled my wholes I lost my 1/16 gap I had built in.

For first time out, I am very pleased with my work. Can't wait to get the other surfaces done. I don't know why some people have commented about how messy and time consuming using Polyurethane glue is. I checked it every thirty mintues, but it didn't foam out enough to warrant my attention, and the hinges never got stiff.

Thanks for the help RCU
Old 09-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Stick Jammer

Yeah, I would skip the tape over the holes idea. It's not really necessary and you can clean up any excess glue easier without the tape. As far as the the ProBond foaming out of the holes, it depends how much glue you use and how much water. I like Vaseline on the knuckle as well, you don't have to worry about it running down the point to an area that needs to bond. A little too much oil on the pin and it could cause a weak bond with the glue if it goes past the knuckle.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:47 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I am installing robart hinges in my giant stinger..the technique given to me is to heat some vasoline and while its watery dip the hinge joints in the vasoline..let them set the vasoline will thicken and then install with white titebond carpenters glue..works everytime!!!!