Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

on-board F-86 Sabre - new video added

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

on-board F-86 Sabre - new video added

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default on-board F-86 Sabre - new video added

Here are some videos from my F-86 Sabre using the tiny and extremely cheap "808 key fob" cameras. I put heavy duty velcro on them and the model - one patch under the wing centre so I could have both cameras at once one forward and one rearward facing, and one patch on top of the canopy so there is a film from there facing forward with no part of the model in view, and one facing rearward with the tail in view. It's not camcorder quality but it's still jolly good, and to get two tiny lightweight cameras perfect for on-board models for pocket money prices is superb and I am thrilled with the results.

Model is the Trim F-86 Sabre, power is a Wren Super Sport, radio by Multiplex and Weatronic. Airfield is ex-WW2 in UK, with part of runway re-laid by the model club.

Hope to get some film from my other jets over the coming weeks.

Harry

on-board Sabre flight 1 forward looking

on-board sabre flight 1 rearward facing

on-board Sabre flight 2 forward facing

sabre flight 3 rearward facing
Old 08-14-2010, 08:56 PM
AnthonyW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: on-board F-86 Sabre - new video added

Very nice video. Interested in the camera set up.
I am however amazed at the amount of movement of the vertical fin. It looks like when the plane gets into the "Sabre Dance" (Yaw)the fin really moves.
Anthony
Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

The infamous "Sabre Dance" isn't a yaw issue (it's a "behind the power curve" hi-alpha thing), but yeah, I was shocked also at the amount of movement in the vertical stab. Just one more thing to lose sleep over LOL.

Thanks Harry, cool vids !!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:25 AM
HarryC

The fin movement isn't quite as bad as it looks. All video cameras, even "proper" ones suffer horizontal waviness due to vibration, it's to do with the scanning - I have some similar video done with better cameras on a glow model and the picture is very wavy due to engine vibration. You can see the effect at its worst during the take-off, the fin looks like a sine wave but as soon as the Sabre is off the ground and that vibrations stops, the picture immediately settles down. The tailplanes are not affected because they are horizontal and the waviness in the picture is horizontal.
That said, there is some movement of the fin, the Trim Sabre fuselage is a bit flexible and the tail fin can wobble a little bit. It's probably wise to let it, the fin is foam veneer and simply butt joined to the f/g fuselage, so allowing the fuz to flex a little spreads the loads away from the glued joint. I did wonder if this would be ok when I first built it, but now at 6 years old and nearly 500 flights, and no sign of cracking, I think it is safe to say it isn't going to break!

So I suspect that at times the airflow is causing a little bit of vibration in the camera causing horizontal waviness and combined with the fin waving a little as well makes it looks worse than it is

cheers

Harry
Old 08-15-2010, 03:33 AM
highhorse

Harry, do you mind sharing exactly which cams u used ? When I google "808 key fob" I get several choices.

Thx, Don.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:22 AM
HarryC

Don, it's this type
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-key-camera...988?pt=UK_CCTV
very cheap, you need to add a micro SD card, I use 4GB, 30 mins of filming used about 2.2GB so the 4GB card will take about 50 to 60 mins of film, I expect the battery will be flat around that time too. They are charged by plugging into USB port on PC, but some people have adapted them by fitting a tiny charge lead so they can recharge at the field - the camera has a 1 cell lipo.

Harry
Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

thanks for the link. what cool piece of gear!!!

cheers
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM
highhorse

Thanks Harry. I'd have never thought that such an inexpensive bit if kit (that's Brit for "gear", right?) would work so well.

I have ordered two and can't wait to watch what's going on with the empennage on my own jet during snaps. Or, then again, maybe I'm better not knowing.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
HarryC

new video today, taken from the wingtip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X3IrK165HM
Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 AM
AnthonyW

The Wingtip video makes me woozy.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
highhorse

Really? I thought it was cool as heck.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

<font size="2">

Wow what a neat little camera. And what a valuable tool it could be for checking your acft during flight. LG, gear doors, canopies, surface flex, flutter, noises, UFO's , whatever. If it blows off, what did you loose, 20 bucks?</p>

I was watching that first video saying to myself "man this model has a slight yaw modulation or the pilot has a nervous tick in his left thumb." The plane was constantly hunting the nose. After watching the #3 video it was obvious, video distortions and waviness aside that vertical was flexing a lot. Causing the entire video frame to wander in sync with the flexing. It was probably too small a movement to be noticeable from the ground. Cool stuff...</p></font>