Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Help for a new guy to thins incredible hobby!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help for a new guy to thins incredible hobby!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 AM
03accordguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a new guy to thins incredible hobby!!

Ok everyone, so i just got into rc cars and i bought my first one the other day and i bought an HPI Hellfire....The questions i have for you is if anyone has any advice for me how to adjust the carburator to achieve the best power...because thus far it isnt going very fast and it bogs down alot...i know it needs to be broken in and everything but i dont know if this is normal or not....so if anyone has any advice when it comes to adjusting the carburator id appreciate it....next my exhaust has alot of condensation coming out of it and it seems to be alot of fuel in it and it might be because it is running rich but idk if its normal or now...so let me know please if its normal.....Lastly when the engine is running there is fuel spewing out of around the glow plug area....is this normal for a new engine or do i need o have work done to the engine or replace the glow plug or send the engine back to HPI.....Thanks everyone in advance for any help....Please remember when considering my questions because i am VERY new to this and i do not know anyone that has these so i have no prior experience either so these may be easy fixes for anyone more experienced but not for me....thanks everyone
Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 AM
vnmsgt

Default RE: Help for a new guy to thins incredible hobby!!

Sounds like it is running way too rich which is normal during break in. That is why you have fuel and condensation coming out of your pipe. Make sure you glow plug is tight and that you are not missing copper washer gasket on it. Lean out the high speed needle about a 1/4 turn and it should get better. The high speed needle is the one sticking out the top of the carb where you fuel line goes in. Leaning out is clockwise, richening in counter clockwise.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM
03accordguy

Alright ill do everything u advised....When tightening the glow plug is it pobbible to tighten it too much?...i dont want to strip the threads or anything...and the washer was there so im thinking that hopefully it just wasnt tight enough...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:07 AM
vnmsgt

Yes do not overtighten it. Just snug it down good.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Nick2618

You dont want to lean it out to much if you are still in break in. As long as its not stalling out the bogging is ok for break in. Just follow the instructions and pay attention to when and how you drive and adust teh needles during break in.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM
03accordguy

well it is actually bogging down quite a bit everytime the throttle is hit....so ive leaned it out some but i cant test it yet until tomorrow afternoon....but ill let everyone know how it goes once i can try it out.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:33 PM
vnmsgt

You should get a temp gauge to check the temp becuase if you lean it out too much you will hurt the motor. I run my temps about 250-265 or so. Upwards of 300 is too lean most of the time.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
chedster

Dude make sure you understand everything in the manual before you run it. It will show you all the adjustments to tune it properly. Read it a few times to make sure you understand everything and it will go a whole lot easier. Have fun!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
rican25

maybe someone could post some temps that each consecutive tank during break in should hit? like tank 1 no higher than 150f , tank 2 no higher than 180f , tank 3 no higher..... get it? this would also help me as well, I just did my Savage 4.6 and it went tank/temp 1/120 2/140 3/160 4/180 5/200 6/230 7/250 and i shut it down with 1/4 tank left. I was leaning it out with each tank but the first 2 tanks it would barely run.. was told by some that this was ok and then by others that I didnt let it get hot enough. make sure your piston is at BTC at every cool down. what do you guys think?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 PM
rican25

after further reading your post accord, I am wondering how do you know it wont go very fast? truck shouldnt move for about 4-5 tanks mine didnt move til after 6 1/2 tanks then not wide open til about the 10th tank. its very hard not to pull the trigger I know but if you want it to last you need to have some patience. probably the hardest thing to do when getting a new car I know it was for me! my Savage did the same thing with the sputtering of fuel near glow plug, actually it looks like little bubbles around the base right? just clean anything out down in there and then take out the glow plug and clean around there again that silver thing you see at the bottom is called the "button" and you dont want to scratch that with dirt or any foreign object be careful when cleaning as not to push anything into the cylinder, then reinstall your plug tighten and you should be ready. I only know this because it happened to me as well. I am on my very first R/C car as well. as for your choice...... I wanted that thing sooo bad but I hear lots of negatives about it so I steered clear being new to R/C keep a watch on diffs as they are a big complaint and read your specific thread as they will probably help you the most. VNMSGT will help alot as well. I will be bugging him like a kid brother in the near future. as I just ordered my TT ST1. Good luck with the Hellfire I hope all goes well, maybe when I know more about them I will take on an alleged problem child and tame the beast!!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Diesel007

I found this redcat post on this forum for engine break in..

http://www.redcatracing.com/quickstart.pdf

and this traxxas one... traxxas says go 1/4 throttle for 2 seconds and brake...repeat till the engine runs out..for tank 1 that is. the other tanks are on youtube there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbyLmcGRnlw

is the traxxas one correct?? or should u let the first tank just run out at idle like it says in the redcat one????
Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
rican25

ya diesel thats what I am trying to get at... too many chiefs.... which is the best way to break it in? I like the heat it up slowly over and over. just gets old fast and with pull start this is gonna suck on my TT ST1 I shouldve bought the roto start right off. oh well live and learn right?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 AM
vnmsgt

I started with traxxas for my first r/c and used their break in and have always used it with good luck and my motors always run good.

rican25, (brother)LOL I see you ordered a thunder tiger, where did you get it from? Clermont? Sure I can help you out but cant tell you all my secrets! lol No problem.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
rican25

vnmsgt yup,yup, I had to take advantage of that deal on Amain man, just too good a deal to pass up!! people were buying them and already had the pro version and others are now hating that they didnt grab one up as now theyre not there anymore unless you buy the kit. I will probably pick up my Spektrum from Clermont Hobby this weekend or next as I will be in KY all of next week. So can you outline the Traxxas way of breakin in engines? just like to see what they have in mind. thanks dude.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
03accordguy

i tried to do the engine break in procedure as closely to the book as i could.....I ran the engine for one full tank on idle without the wheels touching the ground....I kept having a problem with iot dieing though. Then i ran 1 3/4 tanks in the car as the book said by driving it in circles as the manual stated but again i had the problem of it dieing and then i noticed the fuel coming from the glow plug and i decided to call it quits until i can figure out whats going on with it....hwo much do temp guages typically run? im going to go today and try to get one.....Did i do something wrong in the engine break in procedure though?...because i thought i followed the book pretty closely but i could be wrong
Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
tmaxx_man87

so far you sond like your doing good, just follow the book, a temp guage should be around 25-35 bucks
Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM
03accordguy

ok so it seems to be running fine i think. Just one more question though....how many tanks does it take for the engine to be broken in so it can reach full rpm?...7 or so?...because i ran 2 more tanks through it and on the last tank for about the last 1/4 of it it would seem to have bursts of higher rpm and just take off...is that normasl during brak in?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:27 PM
vnmsgt

It can be. You might just be giving it more throttle then you were before. Alot of motors produce more power for a few tanks after the break in procedure then they really run good. Just remember to check you temps!