Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DA 50 clicking noise and backlash........

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 50 clicking noise and backlash........

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:08 AM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 50 clicking noise and backlash........

Greetings,

When I turn the prop on my DA I heard a strange metal clicking sound. It looks like there is some backlash on the connecting rod bearing or whatever. The engine has only 10 gallon of fuel and I am wondering if I should stop flying the plane. The backlash and sound is higher when
the engine is hot.

Any idea?

Thanks all
Serge
Old 09-28-2004, 11:12 AM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: DA 50 clicking noise and backlash........

You have a problem. Send it to Dave at DA. He will know what it is. DA50s have a tendency for this.

He will fix it and send it right back to you.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:10 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! You mean there are problems with DAs after all?!?!? And I have always read here that they were the perfect engine. Hmmm...
Old 09-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Rick Sowell
My Feedback: (2)

these engines are far from perfect, it is that the people that have them must be afraid to talk about their problems. mine has had Four, yes, Four crank shafts and rods and bearings for this same noise, the rod is a very thin aluminum casting with a cheap bearing pressed into the ends. very poor design. after three times of sending it back the last time it broke the rod and this was all with 12 gallons of fuel through it. just think it took three rods and cranks and bearings to get 12 gallons of fuel burned and on gallon 13 broken rod and complete rebuild, including piston and cylinder. this time they put a steel rod in it and after 2 gallons so far is fine. not crossing my fingers on this yet. not bad for starting to fly it on sept 15th of 2003, just over one year and was sent to DA four times for crank and rod failures and one time for ignition and one time for broken crank case possibly from all the shipping back and forth it broke one of the mounting lugs off the case. and they said that no one has ever had any problems like mine! yea right. good engine, poor quality, good service, and I thought I bought the best engine on the market? Rick
Old 09-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Shogun

I just sent mine in for a similar noise. A discussion with Dave on the phone revealed that the lower rod bearing had play in it that apparently was not uncommon to these engines. Dave took care of me though and they pretty much replaced everything but the crankcase and the carb. My 50 runs stronger and smoother than ever now. Even though the design may be deficient in some ways DA is bending over backwards to take care of their customers. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed one.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:58 AM
walton
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Rick Sowell

these engines are far from perfect, it is that the people that have them must be afraid to talk about their problems. mine has had Four, yes, Four crank shafts and rods and bearings for this same noise, the rod is a very thin aluminum casting with a cheap bearing pressed into the ends. very poor design. after three times of sending it back the last time it broke the rod and this was all with 12 gallons of fuel through it. just think it took three rods and cranks and bearings to get 12 gallons of fuel burned and on gallon 13 broken rod and complete rebuild, including piston and cylinder. this time they put a steel rod in it and after 2 gallons so far is fine. not crossing my fingers on this yet. not bad for starting to fly it on sept 15th of 2003, just over one year and was sent to DA four times for crank and rod failures and one time for ignition and one time for broken crank case possibly from all the shipping back and forth it broke one of the mounting lugs off the case. and they said that no one has ever had any problems like mine! yea right. good engine, poor quality, good service, and I thought I bought the best engine on the market? Rick
Mounting the engine on a un-even firewall can cause the mounting liugs to break.
You think you got a bad engine try a Brison.
I had one of them going back and fourth about 5 or 6 times with 3 to 4 weeks of waiting each time.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:00 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

I think any engine has the possibility of experiencing problems regardless of manufacturer, but it's the service after the sale that is key. I have never heard of any complaints with DA's service and my experience with them is nothing less than superior.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

I have the similar noise. It happened right after Wgeffon went through a series of violent snaps with my Aeroworks Katana. Interestingly enough, though, the noise seems to be amplified by the Dave Brown spinner that I have on the nose. With the spinner off, it isn't as noticeable. We have a long winter coming up, so I'll be letting DA have a look at it. Brian Hueffmeier had a look/listen to it at an IMAC event in Clinton, IN this year and reported that the noise seemed normal and that everything was where it was supposed to be. However, as the plane has been getting more flights, it seems to be getting worse.

Don't get me wrong. The motor pulls HARD still, and is EXTREMELY RELIABLE. I still fly the airplane with confidence in the engine, and that won't change. It's just that even with the stock muffler, the engine noise is more noticeable.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:38 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

this is scary, I was about to order a DA- 50 , thinking it was the BEST engine available. Sure would be nice to hear from more MALFUNCTIONS or other problems with the little thing. I have been working on small engines all my life ( 4 + 2 stroke) in other applications, so I'm very curious about this one. Guess I'll wait before I'll submit my order for this so called perfect engine
Old 11-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Shogun

Don't fall victim to the internets abiltity to impose instant doubt in a product or product line. I talked to Dave at DA a couple of months ago when I had issues with my 50 and he said they had sold about 2300 of them up to that time. Yes they have more problems with the 50 than the 100 or 150 but much of that has to do with the fact that twins simply run smoother and are a more balanced design. The failure rate for these is probably no worse than on any of the other 50CC gas engines available on the market. Unfortunately EVERY one that has an issue is going to get talked about here so keep that in mind when considering your purchases.

As I said I HAD a problem with mine as well but DA's customer service took care of it FAST and I had it back in under a week. NO this is not the perfect engine but I would bet it's as good as anyone elses and the customer service is the best in the business, that alone is worth the price you pay for one of these.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Buzzard Dave

Buchtes....buy this engine with confidence. sure some may have problems, but many are working really, really well.
mine works great. any mfg can have a problem....but if you do, DA will take care of you....

David S. - tampa, fl
Old 11-05-2004, 07:16 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Shogun

As I said I HAD a problem with mine as well but DA's customer service took care of it FAST and I had it back in under a week. NO this is not the perfect engine but I would bet it's as good as anyone elses and the customer service is the best in the business, that alone is worth the price you pay for one of these.
Yes, the customer service is up to date, that has to be considered. thanks, Shogun
Old 11-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Abraxxas

I heard the small clicking in mine after about 3 gallons as well, never thought anything of it (used to hearing the lifters click in four strokes for years). I was out flying today and had what I'm assuming is a connecting rod failure in flight while harriering at about 1/4 throttle, I heard a clatter and within 1/10 of a second the prop was stationary and the plane was coming down! Luckily I was way up at about 50 ft so I dove for a second, flared and landed on the edge of the field uneventfully. It was running SOOOOO beautifully, like it always does, I just started into the 7th gallon of gas. I LOVE this engine, all manufacturers have problems... all of them, thats why the word warranty was invented. I have no worries regarding it either, DA has been WONDERFUL to deal with and I will buy more of their engines in the future... I will update this thread with their findings when I hear back and let you all know what they found and how it was corrected. At least it waited 'till the very end of the season to hickup, that alone is worth the money

Brian
Old 02-05-2005, 10:35 AM
bluemagic98

Have you heard back from them on your engine? I just ordered mine it will be here tuesday. I wanted to ask you if you made any deviations in the hardware kit as far as servo arms and linkages. Maybee ill catch you at the swap meet if i dont spend all my cash before then That Da wasnt cheep.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

The question that has to be answered is. What is being done to fix this problem? It obviously seems to be more than just an isolated incident. I think it's great that DA takes care of their customers after the sale but if the problem isn't being fixed are we (the customer) just supposed to keep sending it in for service? I'm sure DA is hard at work on preventing this from happening, maybe they already have it figured out? It sounds as though they may have switched to a steel rod. Did that solve the problem? I know that they also have a problem with flooding. I wonder if they fixed that?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:40 AM
bluemagic98

from what i hear they have changed the conecting rod they had some issues and they where adressed as far as i know. Im not 100% on this but i think they went from a aluminum connecting rod to a steel one. If im wrong im sure someone will correct me on this.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I think I read that somewhere also
Old 02-06-2005, 09:37 AM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went through 2 connecting rods too. Last one totally blew apart. Anyone want to buy mine? It's got the new steel rod....
RickP
Old 02-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: WilsonFlyer

WOW! You mean there are problems with DAs after all?!?!? And I have always read here that they were the perfect engine. Hmmm...
Another smart ass...