Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Mini MGT Transmission locking up - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:46 PM
cozment
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini MGT Transmission locking up - need help

I started noticing that the truck was having a hard time free rolling the other day while the transmission is engaged in the forward position. Putting this into reverse and it rolls fine. It seemed like something was hanging up in the transmission. Today, I tried driving my truck after a few weeks off from replacing a defective steering servo. The truck drove a few feet and then acted like it had a hard time going. When i let off the throttle, the tires acted as if the brakes were on. I made sure it wasn't the brakes and it's definitely in the tranny. If I gave the truck more throttle, it would go but it was definitely binding somewhere. I tried putting the truck into reverse to see if that would fix it and the reverse switch is stuck inside the transmission. In order to resolve this, you have to kill the engine, force the truck to roll, and then it will free itself and work again. I tried this 2 or 3 times and I tried moving the servo forward and reverse switch in different spots to see if it would prevent any further binds. Same thing each time. Truck would go 2 or 3 feet and then start binding. This truck has not been driven hard or bashed so it's fairly new and in excellent condition. Is this pointing to problems in the tranny with the reverse gears, etc? If so and I need to take the tranny out and apart, I need some general directions on how to do this. I did check my slipper clutch and re-adjusted this. Tightened all the way and then went back 1/4 per what the manual says.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM
cozment

Default RE: Mini MGT Transmission locking up - need help

Just an update on this issue. I did break down the transmission and found lots of plastic shavings inside the tranny case. Something definitely went wrong in there. The metal gears look fine besides the plastic shavings everywhere. The ring collar for the forward/reverse looks lodged in the transmission. The main reverse gear also doesn't seem to turn freely. I'm thinking if I replace the transmission housing and all of the reverse gear stuff it should get me going. The other side of the transmission where the main outside gears are connected look fine.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:41 AM
CranKitUP

as much time that i had my mini and as much work ive done on my mini i never opened the tranny. My tranny went bad once, and i didn't bother to open it. i just swapped it out for a new one. [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
cozment

Well, I do have to say something positive about Team Associated customer service. I had a steering servo go bad which they replaced free of charge and now they want my transmission to fix it. As much as i've been disappointed so far with the truck parts, I still love the truck itself and Team Associated customer support is wonderful!