Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Trimming Flite Streak ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Phlip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming Flite Streak ARF

Today, I finally had the chance to take out my Flite Streak and give it a go. Using a new-old-stock Veco .29, I added several ounces of lead to the tail to get close to the balance point indicated in the construction manual. I actually balanced it at 3 inches from the leading edge, the book says 3 1/4.

I used 60 foot steel lines, and set the handle for the closest spacing available.

It seemes to fly well, and was quite maneuverable ... perhaps even too much so. My loops wound up looking like backwards figure nines ... tighter and tighter as it turned. Same with outside loops ... they became figure sixes.

Should I:

1. Remove some tail weight to move the CG forward,

2. See if I can cut down on the control throw at the bellcrank or horn,

3. Fly it more and get used to the handling.

I'd like to be able to let my son and his friends fly it (they've all had a little experience with 1/2A planes) but I don't want to kill the responsiveness for myself, either. I guess I just wish it would "groove" a little better. Thanks for any insight.

Phil
Old 11-27-2004, 07:37 PM
spenc
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Trimming Flite Streak ARF

I certainly would try removing some of the tail weight. (I hope you made it easy to change.)
The other thing that occured to me, is that it seems to turn sharper when it slows down. You might try flying it with the needle valve slightly richer, or try a lower pitch prop.
Spence
Old 11-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

put less elevator throw on it. You can do that easy on the arf FS because just changed in on the elevator horn. If you take some tail weight off and make it more noseheavy your manunever won't be as tight. The way it sounds, give it less control on the 2nd part of the loop. Your loops will come easy after you practice them and will look good.
Just watch that you don't to a hit with the ArF FS. They aren't made that strong. The fuselage it hollow, and the motor mount is really week. I braced my motor mount up big time on mine.
Have Fun
Ryan
Old 11-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am impressed you can fly it at all with the CG that far back.

Jim
Old 11-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Phlip

I certainly would try removing some of the tail weight. (I hope you made it easy to change.)
Oops, not exactly!
or try a lower pitch prop.
That occured to me. Actually, the 10-6 prop I was using broke on the last landing, so I figure I'll try a 10-5, maybe even an 11-4.
put less elevator throw on it. You can do that easy on the arf FS because just changed in on the elevator horn.
Yes, that does look pretty easy. I'll try that, also.

Thanks for the input,

Phil
Old 12-01-2004, 12:57 AM
JIM72

I fly my ARF Flite Streak with an OS FP 20 on 60 ' lines and it can do all of the OTS manuvers better than I can. I just returned to CL after over 50 years and am using it for a re-trainer. I balance mine pretty tail heavy to get the sharp turns I need for the square manuvers and have gone to a APC 10-3 to slow it down a little and still have good line tension. It is/was very light but now it is heavier since I have had to repair it 3 times (vertical 8's were too low)!
Jim
Old 12-01-2004, 08:02 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil, I just checked plans for my Brodak Flite Streak and the c/g is ONE inch behind the leading edge. These plans were reviewed and approved by George Aldrich.
People have written to Top Flite to make the correction. Don't know if they really made the correction.
I would suggest removing tail weight before trying the other things.

Good luck with your FS.

George
Old 12-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Phlip

I balance mine pretty tail heavy
Any idea what the measurement is? One inch seems like a drastic change considering that the plane is still flyable at three inches. I guess I'll try two! And a lower pitch prop.

Phil
Old 12-01-2004, 11:23 PM
pelham

The flite streak is a combat/stunt plane. I really wouldnt even consider adding tail weight to a streak if trying to fly the stunt pattern. If I were flying combat,then yes. I have one with a OS LA 25 with muffler. It balances about an inch from the L.E. Very smooth.

Can you adjust the widtht of your line spacing at your handle? If your line spacing is too far apart your plane will react too quick. Put the lines closer together it will smooth it out.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:06 AM
JIM72

"I balance mine pretty tail heavy"
I just went out to the shop and measured it. 2 1/2 inches back and I am still adding 1/4 oz. every couple of flights. It gets better all the time. What happened is the muffler got loose during a flight and fell off and all of a sudden I had a great stunt plane. Of course the engine really roared and speeded up but the important thing is it changed from a very stable, smooth trainer into being capable of square loops, vertical 8's, etc. I had already moved the pushrod to the hole closest to the hinge line in an effort to get more manuveability and all of a sudden I had it. I will continue to add tail weight until it gets "twitchy". My guess is that I will go to at least 3" back. My handle spacing is about 4 inches, I have not measured that. Oh yes, I put the muffler back on. If the wind is reasonable, it handles overhead 8's really well with good line tension. I am the problem as I tend to lose balance and get dizzy trying to look straight up (maybe 72 years has taken more of a toll than I want to admit, when I last flew competitively I was only 18). With a 9-4 Master prop it really hauls and my reactions are not up to the speed. Now I use an APC 10-3, run it just on the rich side of flat out, about 10,000 to 10,400 at launch. It is usually too windy in this part of Oklahoma to fly a wet cycle.
Jim
Old 12-07-2004, 07:54 AM
tflame
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Phil
I have 2 ARF flite Streak one with a FOX.36c and the other with a Supertigre .35c the CG on both are at 1.250 inch they are flying very stable but won`t turn tight.I`m planning on adding tail weight a little at a time. I`m just returning to C/L with my son and need to relearn how to do things. Both planes are very fast and a little heavier since I replaced the fuse with solid half inch wood and made the fuse doublers out of 5 ply 1/8 inch Sig plywood. My son crashed when the FOX quit coming out of an inside loop. The only damage was a bent landing gear,broken prop and a small hole in the covering.the fuse is ok. I drilled the landing gear hole in the fuse a little bit bigger and installed a piece of brass tubing to prevent the landing gear from rotating in a hard landing. Other than having to straighten a twisted wings and using a different gas tank. I`m happy with the planes.
Tflame

Modeler since 1963