Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Tires/Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Spdfrk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires/Wheels

What would y'all suggest for the best tires and wheels for a super MOA/Clod style crawler? Right now Im running 40 series Moabs and wheels. I'd like something a little taller maybe and definately narrower.... Suggestions?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Spdfrk

Default RE: Tires/Wheels

Must not be many super class people left,,, oh well...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Spdfrk

Ill put up a pic of the truck in question soon.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Spdfrk

Wow, what happened to this forum, it used to be loaded with information, now its just........ Dead.. 80 some views and not a single suggestion,.. Is there something wrong about the question?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM
pritch

Hey dude, know what you mean. My truck's not unlike yours - clod based, MOA, but a cane chassis. Super seems to have died?

Can't say what alternatives to go for though as I run the 40 series Moabs too - they've always been good to me with plenty of weight over the fronts especially. Tbh the price of having a second set always put me off too.

What's made you want to change? Are you after more clearance with the higher sidewall?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Spdfrk

WOW!! A reply!! lol...... Yeah, I'd like a little more ground clearance at the axles, not that there isnt a lot now, just thinking more couldn't hurt. Plus, I really like the look of taller, thinner tires with massive tread. Also looking for some decent aluminum beadlocks as well.. Would 1.9 series tires and wheels work? Not really sure what options I have out there.... Thanks for the input! Post up a pic of your rig! I like seeing othe supers, get tired of looking at the Axial stuff all the time...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
K_B

1.9 wheels are small. 1.9 is the diameter: 1.9 inches. Tire selection for supers are limited. This guy makes custom 40-series tires:

http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/in...mart&Itemid=68

RPP Sells RC4WD's 40-series tires which are super tall; something like 8 inches tall:

http://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/324.htm

Check the Super Crawler forum at RCCrawler for ideas on what to do. RCU is very limited when it comes to super crawler info.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Spdfrk

"1.9 wheels are small. 1.9 is the diameter: 1.9 inches."

Well duhh, slaps forehead... Thanks for the links and youre right, not much out there for us super guys..
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM
zman5000

shorten up your links and make it a 2.2 crawler, you look like you have a moa crawler so it would be easy.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Spdfrk

ORIGINAL: zman5000

shorten up your links and make it a 2.2 crawler, you look like you have a moa crawler so it would be easy.
Thats probably not gonna happen but thanks! Everythings bigger in Texas ya know.. lol
Old 04-09-2011, 04:39 PM
zman5000

just a thought as others have said the super class is going away. i have a custom 2.2 crawler with bully axles and a mayhem chassis and i'm going to turn it into a rock racer/ formula offroad truck. with 2 27t cobaltbrushed motors on 3 cell lipo's it should be fun. just some of the things you can do, as always just my 2 cents.</p>
Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Spdfrk

ORIGINAL: zman5000

just a thought as others have said the super class is going away. i have a custom 2.2 crawler with bully axles and a mayhem chassis and i'm going to turn it into a rock racer/ formula offroad truck. with 2 27t cobalt brushed motors on 3 cell lipo's it should be fun. just some of the things you can do, as always just my 2 cents.</p>

This things already a dual brushed motor and dual Crawler controllers with a 2 cell lipo... Let me tell you, its a monster on the rocks... For some reason I just cant get into the 2.2 scale. Hopefuly super will make a comeback. Thanks for your input!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 AM
pritch

Here's a photo from when it was nearly new - that was 4 years ago man how time flies, no wonder my axles are dying lol.

Long live Super - I could care less about scale, I'm sure it's cool if you have lots of comps near you, but there aren't any where I live, when I go out crawling it's me and a pretty big environment and I want it bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

Shame there's nothing but cheap crawling rubbish on ebay and a total lack of quality parts for bigger scales, I guess it was just too niche and hasn't taken off.

take it easy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66117.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	1591817  
Old 04-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Spdfrk

Hey thats pretty sweet..... I dig the stick type chassis... I actualy was working on a homemade stick chassis a wile ago but it got derailed, still have the stick laying around somewhere.... Hos id the response on yours? I dont see any relief holes in the sides, is it stiff at all?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 AM
pritch

There's relief holes there - there's also channels cut down the middle of the centre u frame in places to give just enough articulation - no more than 80 degrees at both ends. The good thing about alu is its soft enough to cut pretty easily so you can get it just right. Yeah, stick/cane chassis are cool - when I first used mine it was just draping itself all over rocks, always getting traction. I watched it uproot an entire damned bush once and pull the darn thing along with it.

But though they are cool they are flakey - like I said metal fatigue has set it on this piece. Really you gotta keep on top of the chassis all the time and be prepared to change it fairly often if you crawl a lot. It really helps to be able to machine axle carriers etc. as not a lot of stuff fits properly when you make your own cane. I used to have the tools and space to do this, but no more sadly.

I'm ready to go back to a commercial chassis now, it's just easier lol. And I think the high-end stuff around now has evolved a lot from 5 years ago. I just wish there was bigger stuff around out the box...

Almost all my stuff seems to be broken now... this thing needs rebuilding, something has gone in my E-Revo tranny I've lost front end traction that's gonna be a PITA, and my E-Maxx needs a motor to get running again. At least that'll be a drop-in and I can have one truck running lol
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Spdfrk

Damm, those canes sound like a big ole PITA! My truck is built from a Rockbull chassis and is quite capable. I think the only crawler out there thats decent out of the box it the X crawler, if theyre even still available anymore. I know the ones offered on Ebay are pretty much plastic and not worth the investment. I almost got the X crawler but now Im glad I didnt because this Rockbull is serious business... You should dump the Revo and get you a truggy like Mugen or an X2 from Ebay and to be honest, Ive never been a fan of Traxxas stuff so the Emax didnt impress me at all, get a Savage! lol
Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
zman5000

this is what i did with my bully crawler, i still don't have the right tires yet- is there an echo in here?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39721.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1592585  
Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Spdfrk

Nice! Got any pis with the lid off? Where'd ya get those side rails?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM
zman5000

the body is from a radio shack mattracks hummer, the body is stock. i picked up the whole car at goodwill and the electronicswere shot so thinking green i reused the body. i still need to get tires and hook up the lights. it looks so good on threre ialmost don't want to run it, but i will.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:57 PM
pritch

That's a nice looking Bully. Yikes, please don't flip it with that shell on, that's gotta be a shelf queen especially if you hook up the lights! Btw if you feel like going to town with lights, I can recommend the 3racing LED controller & set - I hooked it into my Tamiya TT-01 and it has turn signals based on steering servo action and everything, it's cool.

Spdfrk: I went with Traxxas when I first got properly into the hobby because they had decent support here in the UK. For me that's hugely important. Half the stuff on ebay, even if its decent, you can never be sure of being able to get parts, and I had one or two bad international shipping things happen to me that made me choose to go with the biggest name. Long, long ago, when I was starting in the hobby, I had a Savage. This was when nitro killed electric. But I didn't get on with nitro, it was messy and a pita as far as I could see, I wanted a proper petrol model but I couldn't afford big scale. Electric seemed best all round, being in a quiet neighbourhood too. In those days if you wanted an electric monster your choices were pretty much e-maxx or e-maxx. In 8 years I've only ever broken one turnbuckle, and bent a few things. It's a great basher, I still love it. OK it's got RPM bits on it, metal chassis, RRP slipper clutch, MGT tires - it needed a lot of hop-ups but it was popular enough that those options were there. Been through 3 sets of motors and so many sets of battery packs I can't even count. It went to uni with me, I've taken it across the country on holidays, man this thing is probably better travelled then my real car. Tough as truck.

Now the e-revo, well I paid a bit of money for this truck, it had been converted to brushless, and I gotta say, I'm not sure about this truck. Sure it handles tons better, but it looks like a broken front diff and I've hardly driven the thing yet. There's no real options to upgrade the diffs either. I give traxxas et al credit for increasing performance so much in electric trucks but it seems to me on the evidence so far the drivetrain of the revo cannot handle brushless like they claim to. Mines had the CVDs fitted which probably makes the diffs the weak point. So... I'm left wonderin'. Add to that the sad news that Traxxas UK support has closed - it was based in my city and I could get any part next day - why does nothing good ever last huh? And it's got me wondering if I'll buy another Traxxas now. Also used to be that there was tons of stuff on ebay for the Traxxas trucks, nowadays you're lucky if you get any search results at all. If it weren't for just one or two big online retailers I would be worried.

This is my problem now as I look to get a new chassis and axles for my crawler electrics. RC4WD, they're a law unto themselves as far as I can see. But I gotta say the Bully looks impressive. I've read the various arguments about it competing with Bergs and what have you in comps, but for bashing it looks the one to have. Basically because getting parts is hard I need the crawler that isn't going to break, I put a premium on that over ultimate performance. What say you, zman?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 PM
gohstwrighter

i mex makes tires like you asked for oridganely sory its late and i cant spell . but you should look at ther t5/and b5 tires ther tall and narow but you might need biger wheal adaptors all els fales get a whole saw and some pvc pipe and make your own wheals to mount ther tires.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Spdfrk

^^^ Gotta link to the tires you speak of? I cant seem to find them on their site... Thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 AM
gohstwrighter

sure http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/StoreFront
imex has 1/5th tires and wheals
<font color="#810081">http://store.rc4wd.com/Offroad-Tires_c_11.html</font>
rc4wd has 40 searies or 3.8 tires and wheals
or you can look under the same thangs on your serch engin
Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 AM
gohstwrighter

sorry hears the imex one http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-Ti...ale/Categories
you just had to click on ther picture of the tires.