Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

I don't know what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
pritch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know what to do!

Hi all,

I have a cane chassis crawler, roughly super class size, that's a few years old now, made out of a single piece of U-shaped aluminum bracket, with two sub-brackets each end. When it was new it allowed just the right amount of articulation. It has clod axles w/ 9t pinions, integy 55t motors on the axles, 3 cells on each axle, and a novak goat esc. Hitec servos both ends (4 wheel steer), I forget the torque rating but they're good.

Trouble is, well two problems. Metal fatigue has taken its toll on the chassis. Also the bolts holding the axles on to the aluminum have totally worn away the drill holes (softer metal) and I've used up available spaces to drill new ones now. Also the clod axles are worn, the front one is no longer locked and um... bad things have happened to the screws and short of busting it apart I can't get at them to fix. It's all rusted... basisally they're done. Time to move on to a modern axle.

Well, I'm glad I owned a cane, I still think they're cool, but I'm ready for a change now. A chassis that isn't going to need constant work. I don't know what to do though - the electric gear on here is still decent.

I'm thinking I need a new rolling chassis, I was thinking I could build a Bully or XR10 kit. But, hell, these aren't cheap in the UK and god knows the support for crawling here seem truly more awful than ever. Spare parts for anything RC4WD seems almost impossible and it's barely any better with Axial.

Used ones, RTR, are usually for sale cheaper than kits. Which makes that seem so much more sensible. But then I've still got my leftover electrics, on a crawler I can't really sell as it is, and I don't want to sell parts separately. Plus, I like building myself - for the usual reasons.

So, this is a dilemma. £325 is a hell of a lot for a chassis, which is what the Bully is on ebay UK. The XR10 kit is £275, that's enough given that it doesn't even come with foams and tires. I could re-use the moabs from my current rig I guess.

Hell, what to do? Any UK folks on here with any thoughts re: support?

I should clarify - this is for bashing, not comps. And I like bigger rigs, the bigger, the better. I'd love a 1:6 or 1:5 scale in a crawler but, dream on.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 05:03 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: I don't know what to do!

ORIGINAL: pritch

Hi all,

I have a cane chassis crawler, roughly super class size, that's a few years old now, made out of a single piece of U-shaped aluminum bracket, with two sub-brackets each end. When it was new it allowed just the right amount of articulation. It has clod axles w/ 9t pinions, integy 55t motors on the axles, 3 cells on each axle, and a novak goat esc. Hitec servos both ends (4 wheel steer), I forget the torque rating but they're good.

Trouble is, well two problems. Metal fatigue has taken its toll on the chassis. Also the bolts holding the axles on to the aluminum have totally worn away the drill holes (softer metal) and I've used up available spaces to drill new ones now. Also the clod axles are worn, the front one is no longer locked and um... bad things have happened to the screws and short of busting it apart I can't get at them to fix. It's all rusted... basisally they're done. Time to move on to a modern axle.

Well, I'm glad I owned a cane, I still think they're cool, but I'm ready for a change now. A chassis that isn't going to need constant work. I don't know what to do though - the electric gear on here is still decent.

I'm thinking I need a new rolling chassis, I was thinking I could build a Bully or XR10 kit. But, hell, these aren't cheap in the UK and god knows the support for crawling here seem truly more awful than ever. Spare parts for anything RC4WD seems almost impossible and it's barely any better with Axial.

Used ones, RTR, are usually for sale cheaper than kits. Which makes that seem so much more sensible. But then I've still got my leftover electrics, on a crawler I can't really sell as it is, and I don't want to sell parts separately. Plus, I like building myself - for the usual reasons.

So, this is a dilemma. £325 is a hell of a lot for a chassis, which is what the Bully is on ebay UK. The XR10 kit is £275, that's enough given that it doesn't even come with foams and tires. I could re-use the moabs from my current rig I guess.

Hell, what to do? Any UK folks on here with any thoughts re: support?

I should clarify - this is for bashing, not comps. And I like bigger rigs, the bigger, the better. I'd love a 1:6 or 1:5 scale in a crawler but, dream on.

Thanks
Well, rc4wd does make 1/5 axles. Maybe you could build a custom 1/5 truck.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
pritch

Hehe, building a custom 1/5er just ain't gonna happen at the moment. I do not gots the work space like I used to atm. I'm working on the damn bedroom floor here - I do my soldering on top of my metal parts case.

I'd love to do it one day though. I'd better start saving for those axles now. I bet they ain't cheap.

Nah I want to out this stuff into a proper chassis for now. No screwing around with sheet metal atm.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
pritch

Found out rossendale models supply the 1/5 RC4WD crawler...

http://www.rossmod.co.uk/product/128...wler_15_Silver

A cool £817.32... or well over a thousand bucks. And that's before electrics and wheels.

I'd love to build one up. Time to rob a bank?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
zman5000

do what the young guys and gals do here in the states just get a handfulof credit cards and have fun. lol</p>
Old 04-14-2011, 05:33 PM
gohstwrighter

im not familer with your crawler but ive looked at lots trying to find the right one for me and thought about making my own out of a few poly cutting bords it might  work a drill and a miter box / chop saw or drimmel

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
                   ]                                                                                                                                                                                         [
                   ]       o  o  o                                                                                                                                                  o  o  o         [
                   ] ____________________                                                                                            ___________________[
                                                                     [    o                                                                            o    ]
                                                                     [    o                                                                            o    ]
                                                                     [    o                                                                            o    ]
                                                                      \                                                                                      /
                                                                        \       O                                                            O         /
                                                                           \________________________________/      sides and a rectangle to fit top/botem.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM
gohstwrighter

sory i tried to draw a pictuer but it dident come out.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:27 PM
pritch

Haha good try with the ASCII crawler there.

Yeah, making your own chassis is fun, and I'm sure I'll try again one day, maybe something more complex than a stick too. But though it's not that hard to do, it's hard to do well. Getting max articulation right is the hardest thing. You want it to flex but you don't want it over-twisting itself into a mess that just tumbles off the rocks. Trial and error.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:45 PM
zman5000

a lot of guys use 1/8 scale shock towers as chassis plates and sell them to others for a salty price.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM
calvino

I make my own chassis but i got the aid of CNC mills

Simply put here's how I made mine before all that fun stuff!

Lay the car out at the wheelbase you want. Attach the link sizes you want for the lowers {who cares about the uppers for now} Also attach the shocks to the car

Take a big sheet of cardboard, graph paper, whatever you like to use and set it up against the links. Set the aprox shock angle you want

Take and mark the drill points you want also.

Then trace around it an aprox shape, keep it simple, you can make it fancier later.

Transfer to either some aluminum or Delrin plastic

Drill holes

Cut design out

And hey-presto were done [8D]

If you want any more help, lemie know, i have done this long enough to know a thing or two about making them