Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Engine is over heating

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:50 AM
twan77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is over heating

I had recently baught a B44 and just wanted it to go extremely fast so I purchased the Momba 9000kv motor. I am running with the mommba pro ESC (I think that is what it is). Well I had put it in with the stock spur gear 84T and started off big 19T pinion obviously that was to big. Well I have worked my way down to a 14T pinion and it still over heats. The wire and motor get extremely hot with in a couple runs up and down the road. Well I took it a step further and tried a bunch of different programming on the ESC but still same out come. I didnt want to spend any more money and had a Novak 8.5 motor sitting around so I just put that in there.

I dont want to get rid of the Momba and will eventually put it in something but does anyone know why or how to run this motor with out over heating. If not I think Im just going to put it in a 1/10 drag that way im only doing short runs at a time and i wont have to worry about the heat as much.</p>
Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 AM
chunked foam

Default RE: Engine is over heating

The 9000 is best used in touring cars with smaller wheels (less rotating mass) with light chassis. If you may, try to fit a heat-sink. Otherwise, gearing down is all you may do. Try a larger spur gear, too.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that will go well in your tc4 (i think you have) if your want to use that in a b44, you have to gear it lower and find a biggest fitting spur gear.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM
twan77

Yeh i was going to go up in spur but it seems to me the more gearing change i do the motor wont go as fast as i want it to. 

As for the TC4 my roommate has one as well I was going to buy that off of him and use it on it.  But my novak 8.5 is already extremely fast enough for me on my TC. 
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what exactly is crazy fast for you? Anything over 50mph is unusebale on anything but smooth paved surfaces. You will end up breaking parts like no tommorow if you are going over 50mph offroad. I think you should get the cc sidewinder sport with the 4 pole 5700kv motor.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXBBMF&amp;P=0</p>
Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

If you must get that kind of speed, try fit fit an aluminum heatsink on the motor, or even better, an aluminum heatsink with an integrated fan.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM
twan77

where is the best place to order a heat sind. I only find ones for those big motors
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Caslte Creations and Integy both sell heatsink/ fan combo kits. They both run around $13 dollars, and they both plug into the receiver port labeled BATTERY. Check to see if your ESC has a battery eliminator circuit (BEC), so that you don't need a receiver pack to run the fan.