Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Replacing bullet connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 AM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing bullet connectors

I f I need to replace the bullet connectors in order to make them fit to a Traxxas, will it hurt if I change the length of the motor wire? Traxxas uses the 3.5 and the motor I am putting on does not. I have heard that it isn't good thing to change the length of the motor wire but does it hurt if they are all kept the same length less the old connector?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
pritch

Default RE: Replacing bullet connectors

No, don't worry, that's not going to be a problem. Curious as to what needs changing and why though?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
James c harrell

Traxxas bullet connectors are smaller than just about all the others. I don't want to change the ones on the ESC so that I can go back to the VELINION motor if I want to. So if I change all three and they are still the same length it will be O.K.?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
sloppyG

changing the wire length on some motors is a no-no

changing wire length on the ESC doesn't matter
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
James c harrell

I was looking at this motor and it says in the 1st video not to cut the motor wires. That is the reason for my question. How about adapters in this situation? This motor is so cheap and the reviews seem good and I will just be using it for a spare.

[link]http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m24-car-3650-3500.html[/link]
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Casper06

If it says don't cut them I wouldn't mess with it. You could always make an adapter by getting the same gauge wiring and soldering the same sized female bullet motor connectors on one end and the male ESC bullet connectors on the other. It'll act as act as a pass through.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
James c harrell

Just got off the phone with the LHS and they have the connectors so I can do just that. I still can't figure why where I put the additional length would make a difference but at the price I am going to try.Thanks for all the advice! I will let you all know how it works out cause under mine and my sons trigger finger it will get its' test.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:46 PM
sloppyG

the motor windings on some of those cheap motors are the actual wires leading out of the motor.... if you shorten or cut them you change the length of the motor windings and mess with the motor

why not just remove the connectors on the cheap motor and re-solder on the right diameter ones? don't cut them off, melt the solder and remove them
Old 04-14-2011, 03:17 PM
James c harrell

That sounds like the best solution yet! Now why didn't I think of that. Sometimes what seems like a big problem has the simplest solution. Thank-you
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

It's not just cheap motors...it's just a style of motor making. I have a pretty good Medusa motor that uses extended coils as motor wires...
And you can unsolder the connectors just fine, that's what I had to do with the Medusa to bring it down to 4mm for my mamba max ESC.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">the motor windings on some of those cheap motors are the actual wires leading out of the motor.</span>... if you shorten or cut them you change the length of the motor windings and mess with the motor

why not just remove the connectors on the cheap motor and re-solder on the right diameter ones? don't cut them off, melt the solder and remove them
Where did you get that info? The wires you are mentioning are nowhere near the magnetic field!!!!!!! I would really like for you to think about what you posted, and think about how electromagnets work.