Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Koverall on control surface

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Koverall on control surface

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 01:03 PM
IFR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koverall on control surface

I am ready to cover the elevators on my Ziroli Dauntless and have chosen Sig Koverall as my fabric. The control surfaces will have rib stitching. Can someone give me guidance on the best way to apply the Koverall? I was leaning toward doping it on with Sig's low shrink dope. I understand you only dope the edges at first and allow it to completely dry before trying to shrink the material. Should you use heat to shrink it or will the first coat of Sig low shrink dope shrink it? I assume you put the rib stitching on after the general surface has been covered, shrunk, and doped. I have a can of Sig Stick It but I wasn't pleased with how it stuck edges down when I covered a 1/12 Pitts Special, the covering kept lifting at the edges when heat shrinking and the trailing edges never came out quite right where the material overlapped the edges.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:14 PM
rc_sport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Koverall on control surface

Its easy, apply 2 coats of dope to the frame work gently sanding between coats. Lay the Koverall on the frame and apply the dope to the edges of the frame. You can apply gentle pressure to get out some wrinkles. Make sure you use enough dope to soak thru the fabric onto the framework, this will cause the dope underneath to soften up a bit and stick the cloth down. After the dope has dried you can shrink it with heat but be careful it can really shrink tight. go easy with the heat. Trim the access and apply it to the back side over lapping the edges about a 1/4". Then apply thinned dope to fill the weave, it will take about 3 coats. Gently sand between coats. You can apply the rib stitching after the first layer of sealing dope. Oh, and make sure you have good ventilation.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:49 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Koverall on control surface

Can only agree to rc_sport's post !
When I tried Koverall for the first time , on my Flair Ka8b sailplane, I used the technique as described by him and it works perfectly !

Michael