Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

can someone help with ball diff issue

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

can someone help with ball diff issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:19 PM
kenthemover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone help with ball diff issue

When I spin rebuilt diff both cups spin same direction I think there supposta to spin opposite direction . What did I do wrong . I want to put sc10 back together and mob in my yard. Thanks Kenny
Old 11-23-2016, 06:19 PM
RustyUs

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, if you hold the diff in your fingers and turn the one outdrive, the other outdrive should turn in the opposite direction. I don't know how you are holding the diff gear in you fingers and both outdrives are going the same direction. If both outdrives are going in the same direction as you turn one outdrive, the diff gear has to be slipping between your fingers, and rotating with both outdrives as one complete unit. Right? In that case, the diff thrust bolt is too tight, and/or flat-spotted the diff rings.

Originally Posted by kenthemover
When I spin rebuilt diff both cups spin same direction I think there supposta to spin opposite direction . What did I do wrong ....
I don't know you did anything wrong. The Associated instructions in the manual leads a person to potentially over-tighten easily if not careful. I normally "break-in" the diff outside the gearbox using an old broken dog-bone and drill. I work my way up to the diff gear being very difficult to turn using two hex drivers in the slots of outdrives...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hexes.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2191162  

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-24-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:14 AM
SteveM
My Feedback: (1)

Last edited by SteveM; 08-16-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:31 PM
kenthemover

I'm holding the gear by the plastic gear. Its not over tight cause I have tried spinning it tight and loose and it still spins same direction. I'm going to try the picture with two screw drivers. Kenny
Old 11-24-2016, 04:37 PM
kenthemover

How would I fix flat spot on thrust bearing. do I need to take apart the whole gear down to the tiny bearings and washers?
Kenny
Old 11-25-2016, 04:16 AM
RustyUs

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kenthemover
How would I fix flat spot on thrust bearing. do I need to take apart the whole gear down to the tiny bearings and washers?
Kenny
Flat spot on thrust washer is usually a simple fix by flipping the washers around. I don't know I ever got a flat spot on the thrust bearing washers, but I get a groove after awhile and flip the washers and have a new surface for the balls to grip. The same goes for the diff rings; getting a groove on them tells me it's time to flip them around. Normally I can, and do, reuse the rings/washers once more after sanding the groove off the surface.