Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Throttel linkage G38

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:30 PM
dwreel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttel linkage G38

Just received my new Zenoah G38 from Horizon hobby. Have scoured several threads trying to find a way to hook up the throttle linkage but couldn't find a solution..Please help. A few pics would help greatly. Anything will help. I will be putting the G38 in a BALSA USA., Fokker D VII, upright.I will post a photo soon as I can figure out how to do that.

Thanks, Dick.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:46 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Dick, I think I can help you. I have built 2 Fokker D-VII's both are powered with the Zenoah 38 and they pull these 20+ Lbs. planes very well. I always do a construction thread on my builds. I found that RCSCALEBUILDER.COM has the best site to do a build. There are more builders who will offer advice and helpful ideas on you project. There are several threads on building Balsa USA airplanes. I have done 4, the Sopwith Pup, Spad XIII and 2 Fokker D-VIIs, all are 1/4 scale. It does cost $20.00 a year to be a site supporter which give full access and the ability to post pictures. I think this is the best 20 bucks you can spend in the hobby. You can visit the site as a guest and make up to 5 posts (I think) but you can not post pictures. RCU is a great site as well but RCSB has more folks who are builders and they are from around the world. You should check out this site.

Now to answer your question. The linkage for the stock Zenoah 38 is set up using a 90 degree bell-crank and threaded rods. I will post the best picture I have. But more important, if you are just starting your build on the Balsa USA Fokker D-VII, you should read my construction threads on RCSB. The get to them, open RCSB, forums, Balsa USA Kits, go th page 4, my build "Building the balsa USA Fokker D-VII" by jwrich. There are 32 pages, I posted several pictures covering the complete build. Also, you will see comments from other builders. Unfortunately, my first D-VII crashed, I lost it in the sun. On page 8 of Balsa USA kits, I have the second build of a Fokker D-VII that I bought but needed to be reworked. This one I am still flying, 4+ years. I won several awards in three state with both them. I have been building and fly RC airplanes more than 35 years and the 1/4 scale Balsa USA Fokker D-VII is the best flying airplane I have owned.

If you have any questions, you can send me a PM or ask it on this thread.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F-D-VII-216SX.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	2191594   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-D-VII-306X.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2191595   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-D-V II-535xc.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	2191596   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-D-V-II-533xooox.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2191597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl93154xc.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2191598   Click image for larger version

Name:	New-Fokk-151xo.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	2191599   Click image for larger version

Name:	WBOT-12-72x.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2191600   Click image for larger version

Name:	WBOT-12-66Xcc.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2191601  

Last edited by jwrich; 11-28-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 PM
dwreel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rich. That is exactly what I was hoping for. Answers my question.I did check out your threads on RCSB.. You do excellent work. Lots of pictures, that is what I like to see. I have been building and flying since the early 70's. But the DVII will be my first gasser, first 1/4 scale and first plane with pull-pull and first Balsa USA kit. My building is very slow. Mostly use Titebond and epoxy. Not much CA, But useing it more than I have in the past.
Hopem all is going well with you.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I glad you checked out the RCSB site. There are several great construction threads on this site, I subscribe to many to follow progress. I always seem to learn something. You should join RCSB, do a construction thread on your D-VII. There are many great builders who are quick to answer your questions and offer advice. Like I said, it will be the best $20.00 you can spend on this hobby. Take the time to read the builds, like most kits there are misprints and mistakes with the plans. These builds will point out these mistakes so you don't make them. I use Titebond, epoxy and CA but more CA on the balsa wood. Building slow is good, but you should make steady progress.

My history with the Zenoah engine is long. In '82, I built the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Fly Baby biplane and powered it with a Quada 35,(now USA engines) just not enough power. After a couple years I replaced it with the Zenoah 38 and it flew a lot better. I have been flying Zenoah engines ever since then. The Zenoah 23, I have on my 1/4 scale BUSA Sopwith Pup is 23+ year old, I used it on several 4 Star 120 with great success. On the D-VII you will notice the engine is mounted upright and angled to the right. This encloses the engine under the dumby engine, also you see that I modified the stock muffler to direct the exhust down & out the bottom.

Please let me now if you plane to do a construction thread, I would like to follow along.

Rich

Last edited by jwrich; 11-29-2016 at 07:55 AM.