Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to this need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 PM
USMCPowell1371

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New to this need Help!

So I just bought a 1/10 Redcat Volcano EPX 4x4 as my first RC I know from reading these now that's it's not the best out there but it's a start I guess... Anyways I wanna start upgrading and do a full build on this but don't know where to start I've looked at a couple of aluminum parts and a castle 5700Kv motor but my knowledge of this is still small what all should I look at and what's a good starting point?
Old 12-26-2016, 08:27 AM
RustyUs

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Run it, and enjoy it for what it's worth. I'd find out what the weak points are on the Volcano...just replace/upgrade as you go. Depending on what you are looking to get out of the platform, I'd start there first. You want more speed? Add voltage and/or better motor...will probably yield to needing better ESC as well.

And please, don't go out there and with aluminum arms on the Volcano. If you can't live without them, then go ahead, and do it . Aluminum arms on an off-road RC, especially a "monster truck", is asking for trouble when you land the wrong way; end up bending (and staying bent), and transferring energy to other (usually more expensive) parts of the chassis.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 AM
RustyUs

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCPowell1371
... but don't know where to start I've looked at a couple of aluminum parts and a castle 5700Kv motor but my knowledge of this is still small what all should I look at and what's a good starting point?
Even though Castle's Neu-Castle 1406 5700Kv motors have more torque than first generation CM36S motors, I would not look at putting one in the Volcano EXP. I'd go with a Neu-Castle 1410 3800Kv motor if I was going with one of Castle's great motors. That motor will test the tranny on many 1/10 platforms. "Strap" a 3S LiPo pack onboard...let 'er rip!