Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Advice on purchase question... new to RC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Advice on purchase question... new to RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:37 PM
aythan09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on purchase question... new to RC

Hello All. First post on these forums.

Im a bit new to the RC life but I was thinking about making a purchase to give me some outside time with my 6 year old. So, I wanted to keep the price under $500 otd. I will most likely be playing outside in the backyard or at the local park. So, I want a vehicle that can handle soccer field or higher type of grass? Overall, I would want the vehicle to be as durable as possible since this is for a 6 year old and for myself who is new to RC.

At first I was thinking Stampede 4x4. I thought it would be a good purchase since its a monster truck style with higher clearance. But, with higher clearance comes the ability to tip it over easily especially running it in park grass. Then I saw some youtube vids and alot of them are saying Slash 4x4 is a better model for bashing. Lower center of gravity and the the body protects the components a bit better? But, I realize its a lot more expensive. I believe the Traxxas Stampede 4x4 is $300 while the Slash 4x4 is $450. Ideally I would like to purchase an extra battery or two so I can make a park outing last longer than an hour instead of the stock battery so I was thinking Lipo that can at least last 30 min per battery. But, I have no clue which battery would be best for that. Im looking for any hints or ideals from more experienced people like you all.

The questions I truly have are:

1. Stampeded 4x4 vs Slash 4x4?
2. Recommended batteries to extend outing time?
3. What would be the standard thing to upgrade?et
4. Are there kits where I can buy the car and controller but purchase my own battery? I see a lot of rtr kits and then I can just purchase a lipo battery or is it just best to get the kit and upgrade the battery later?
5. If the slash is recommended... How much would it cost (guestimate) to upgrade the tires to larger tires and "emulate" the Stampedes clearance levels?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:43 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Slash without the LCG chassis -might- be able to handle the grass, if you geared it down a tooth or two. Simply change the pinion gear. But get an infrared thermometer to monitor motor temps to be sure.

Whenever one talks about running on grass, a monster truck is always the go to suggestion, because of the high clearance and fat tires. The grass won't cause as much drag. On grass, I wouldn't think it would be that tippy. On asphalt at speed, yeah. Also, the Stampy will be a little slower than the Slash. A good thing for beginners, even with the ability to limit the top speed with the "training mode" that limits the max power to 50%. (Which also increases run time)

I suppose you could put Stampede wheels on the Slash but you'd have to trim the wheel wells, and really gear it down. Plus, you'd probably loose a lot of steering because you wouldn't be able to turn the wheels as much. And why would you want to do that to a $450 model when for $350 you can get the Stampede?

You are correct in looking for an RTR that just has the car and radio, sans battery, as the battery they "give" you is usually small and isn't worth the extra money. Buy batteries separately.

The price you stated for the Stampede is for the brushed motor version. For that model, you don't need Lipos, Nimhs will do. NiMh packs come in six or seven cell configurations. Start with a six. When you want more speed, get a seven cell. Buy the packs with the highest MAH rating you can. 5000mah is good. Don't forget to buy a charger!

Standard things to upgrade? Replace any broken part with parts made by RPM. They make tons of replacement parts for Traxxas, and, they're better, stronger.