Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Adjustable pitch prop hub...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Pelle Gris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable pitch prop hub...

Hi all...

Anyone have a suggestion on how to make a prop hub with adjustable pitch? No need for anything fancy inflight adjustment, just the possibility to change the pitch on the ground.
I´m making a 3:1 reduction drive for my G-62 and I would like to only have to make one prop, as I´m not sure how much my engine will handle. And having to make ten different props to find the one which works is not something I would look forward to...
I have run one drive before, and at 2:1 gearing it would swing a 3W 32x12 at 4000rpm, which according to my prop calculating software would translate to a 32x24 3-blade prop spinning 2666rpm with a 3:1 gearing. But since I´m not sure how accurate the software is I would like to be able to tweak the prop for optimum performance.
I will soon start making a prop copying machine so making several identical blades will not be a problem.
BTW. I have a few friends who work with CNC milling machines for a living, so getting metalwork done should not be a big problem.
What I need is the basic principal used in the commercially available hubs, and since I cannot afford to buy one I need some help...

P.S. I´m attaching a screenshot of the prop software I mentioned.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94272.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	80952  
Old 12-09-2003, 10:22 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Adjustable pitch prop hub...

Simplest way is to make a "gear" for the base of each prop blade. Make a two peice hub that has matching teeth in top and bottom halves. Unbolt the halves and turn the blades one tooth. Pitch change would depend on the pitch of the gears