Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

questions for KMP P-38 owners

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

questions for KMP P-38 owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 11:38 AM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions for KMP P-38 owners

hi
i have the p38 and it will be my first twin. is it going to be ok for a first twin engine aircraft?
should i get a gyro for the rudder? what engines are other owners using?
the specs call for 7 channels what is the 7th channel used for the elev,ail,rud.thro.flap,retract.and?
thanks
d
Old 12-30-2003, 12:45 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: questions for KMP P-38 owners

I also have the KMP P-38.
I am planning to use 2 OS 70 II 4 stroke engines.
This is my 3 rd twin engine plane. I am not planning to use gyro for this plane.
Better ask the "twinman" for best advise.
Most people with this plane have been using the 70 4 stroke range for engines.
Another altertanitive is to use 2 60 2 stroke engines.
This is a high performance airplane. I might reccomend that you use 2 very good engines and plan on using
glow heat. On mine I "welded"
the flaps up .
Others have said that this plane does not need them.
I feel that they add tail weight and that is hard to get rid of.
Like most rc planes the plane will fly very well if everything is going well.
When one engine fail to come to work that is when it gets harder.
My thought is to add glow heat to help "prevent "a engine failure.
some other guys say that a gyro is the best insurance.
There is a lot of posts on this plane, scout around and you will find a plethora of information.
Greg
Old 12-30-2003, 07:02 PM
philcope
My Feedback: (34)

I am using a JR 8103 in my KMP P-38. I have a receiver, battery, and switch harness in each outer fuselage. Aileron diferential requires two channels, throttles, retracts, rudders, flaps, nose gear steering is on channel 8 mixed to rudder, and elevator. That is eight channels, but the nose gear could be hooked on a Y. I first hooked it up with a single receiver, but the 'Y's and extensions were a rats nest and I was concerned with having that many servos on one bus. The plane only needed a small piece of lead to balance with the two batteries and receivers. The batteries had to go under the fuel tanks and the lead was on the center fuselage behind the nose cone. Phil Cope
Old 12-31-2003, 04:25 PM
darryl123

Im still waiting for my saito motors from condor,they said they were the largest ones for this plane. i am hopeing that they are not .52 4 strokes. the plane was a xmas ift and she didnt ask the size of the motors and they forgot to send them with the plane.
I picked up 2 pezo gyros for the rudders and a larger air tank for the retracts.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:15 PM
CaptHal
My Feedback: (10)

I too have the KMP P-38.
It is going to be my first 2 engine RC plane. I am using YS-63s for my power.
I am also using struts for added strength to the gear. Either KMP's when they come out or a set of Robarts.
How are you setting up the servos and connections to the horns on the elevators?
I would not us the Saito 52's if you end up with that but rather increase to 2 stroke 60's or 4 strokes 60/70.
Another great choice is the RCV 60sp's
To get the correct look for the guns try the Wing Mfg 6 Barrel Machine gun pack. Looks fabulous!!
Send pics here as you go. I am re-doing the wing for retracts in the World Models P51 GS. Then I will
do the P-38.
Good Luck you guys,
hal
Old 12-31-2003, 06:30 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

darryl123
You do not need two gyros for the rudders. Install the gyro as close to center line as possible, between the receiver and Y for the two rudder servos. Will work just fine.
Good Luck,
Twinman
Old 12-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Rv man

Capthal take a look at the pics on the side by side construction thread, and you'll see how I did mine. It really works good, And looks a lot better. Hope this helps.

Rich
Old 12-31-2003, 10:58 PM
darryl123

i was thinking about 2 recievers with 2 gyros but i havent figured out how i am going to set the radio up yet. im leaning towards a single reciever and one gyro. how big of a battery should i have with 11 or 12 servos?
rv man, are you using nyrod or pushrods for the elevator? the pull pull cable they give with the kit is a joke.
i will be flying from a grass feild are the retracts going to hold up or should they be changed out also.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:29 PM
Rv man

I'm useing carbon fiber pushrods for the elevator and rudders. I fly from a grass field to. I figure the retracts should work good.

Rich
Old 01-01-2004, 12:43 AM
darryl123

am i going to need a reverse servo for the flaps on one side?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:26 PM
darryl123

hi
wich spinners will work on this plane? it looks like it is going to take a 3 1/2 inch and the biggest plastic i can find is 3.00.
am i going to have to go with aluminum spinners?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Rv man

Yep, your going to need a reverse servo for the flaps. Get aluminum spinner they last forever if you don't crash. I hate them darn plastic spinners.

Rich
Old 01-06-2004, 11:16 PM
BobS
My Feedback: (3)

Daryl123,
I have a KMP P-38 built and flown. I think I got one the first kits as I received spinners and wing bags with it. I guess this was discontinued lately. The flaps do help on landing. You don't have to reverse one. Just install them with the output arms on the same sides, unlike ailerons where you have to flip one over.
I don't understand all this talk about gyros, as mine tracks straight out and flys the same way. I did put a large battery pack in the nose of the fuse for balance. My plane has 4 Yconnecters for all the dual functions.
I am using OS 70 4 stroke inverted engines. They have started and run unbelievably well. No onboard ignition. The landing gears are a little shaky. I finally got a fill valve for the retracts after a 2 month wait.
The plane is a teriffic flyer and has plenty of power. I can't believe no one has suggested using G-26s for power. Ha, ha just a little humor.

Bob S
Old 01-07-2004, 12:10 AM
darryl123

rv and bob thanks for the answers, i did the same thing with the flap servo. you like the os .70 that is what i am using. is the power good enough for a grass feild? have you had an engine go out in flight. the gyro is supposed to help if that happens. how did you set up your elevator,did you use the pull cables or a pushrod.
d
Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM
BobS
My Feedback: (3)

Daryl123,
I have not had an engine quit yet in flight. I am using the pull-pull cables for the elevator. I don't know if the gyros would help with an engine out? I like plane and the way it flys. Right now I'm waiting for warmer weather to come back to Wisconsin.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey if anyone is looking for a gyro, I have a JR 460T piezo with about 5 flights on it. Email me at Warbirds1@cox,net for details.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 01-07-2004, 06:25 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How is the plane holding up? When I put mine together the wing tubes only stick out of the pods about 5 inches and the outer wing panels are a bit wobbley on them. I made new rudders as both came broken at the "V" and the new ones that Andrew sent didn't match the vertical stabs, the "V" was way to big, and the bottom of the rudders where about 3/4 inch short compared to the stab. The new ones I made are a little oversized and much more ridgid and the right size and profile to match the vertical stabs. This thing has way too many "issues". What spinners are people using? Brand?
Old 01-07-2004, 06:39 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

responding to Evan.
The rudders on the KMP are SUPPOSED to be short.
If you look on the full size P-38 the lower portion of the vertical
stabs have a "bumper" on the bottom to help prevent damage in a nose high take off or landing.
As for the spinners I chose C and B Assoc.
I had them made in Red so as to match my all red paint job.
You might have to call the company to get yours because Tower
does not carry the red only white.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:03 PM
evan-RCU

Thanks, I still like the ones I made much better, did you use the P40 spinners?
Old 01-08-2004, 11:02 AM
darryl123

how are your retracts? they look very cheaply made.
i have 2 that are leaking bad that they are unuseable.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Bristol Scout

You should have bought the vq P38. Its the same size and its only $200 more than the kmp. Plus it only comes with fixed gear.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:46 PM
evan-RCU

Bristol Scout, it doesn't do any good if he's already bought the KMP to say you should have. The retract I got with mine were very corroded and wouldn't go up or down, Andrew sent me new ones and they appear to be as good as I can expect but are still very poor quality. Holes are over/ under sized and not drilled straight and everything very wobbley, lots of slop, I did put them on and they do work, it took a lot of bending and tweeking to get them to look straigh in the up and down position, and one does leak when I have a lot of pressure in the tank but I get a few cycles okay. Bottom line is I'm going to try them but I'll probably replace them if the thing flys okay. The retracts are only one of the "issues" this thing has....
Old 01-08-2004, 09:50 PM
darryl123

i called kmp and they are sending a new set of retracts out.
i agree i think the vq looks like a better plane, the kmp was a gift.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Smiley Jack
My Feedback: (27)

I have formed a P-38 flight demo team to fly at the CASTLE AFB, CA. IMAA meet on Memorial Day weekend. We have 7 KMP P-38's. One G&P and one VQ. Yes I know that KMP have had lots of issues, landing gear, poor fit in some places. However, we felt it was the quickest and inexpensive way to get a "scale" P-38 in the in the shortest amount of time. Most of the airplanes(KMP) have been stripped of its covering and recovered with epoxy-fiberglass. Most of the retracts have been replaced, to Spring-Air. The engine choices are ranging from .61, .91 and Saito 100's. The plan is to have at least 5 flying in loose formation at Castle.

QUESTION: Has anyone found out what the flying characteristics are like with an engine out? Would be very interested to pass this info on to my fellow P-38 buddies. I will be test flying my P-38 Feb 8 weekend.
Will inform this forum of results. P-38's RULE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Jack signing off
Old 02-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Smiley Jack
My Feedback: (27)

BOB..... read your post in early Jan. 2004. You had a successful flight. Great. What was your CG you used? Did you check CG with Gear up or down? Any other tips would be a great help. eg.... engines, weight etc etc..... we have a squadron of 7 P-38 (KMP's) almost ready to test fly. Would appreciate any heads up info. You can respond to my email [email protected]. Thanks for your help....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.