Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Building a track

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 08:37 PM
icyunvmyrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a track

Ive recently started building an off-road track in the back of my property, Ive just been clearing the land for the last week. Ive never even been to a track, my LHS's track is a p.o.s. and has grass over all of it. I really dont know where to start on my questions b/c I i have so many. I guess Ill just leave it open to anyone that has useful information on building tracks or anyone that has ever built one and knows what to look out for. I wont be hosting any real races so it doesnt have to conform to any regualtions. I plan on using foundation dirt, Ill be getting a 16 ft dump for $160. Ill keep this thread for asking anymore questions.

Carl
Old 03-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Aerobirdbrain

Default RE: Building a track

A good way to start out is to take some of that bright orange landscaping tape and make a 300ft X 300ft box or a 300ft X 500ft rectangle (you can always shrink it down to fit your size or budget; but the larger tracks give you more to work with and are easier to lay out and make it reletivly challenging). When ya get that done just take som PVC pipe (the streight 4in. white pipe and the black 4in. ribbed flexible pipe are the best ways to go for boundaries) and make a general lay out; when you lay it out, it would probably be a good idea to mark areas where jumps are gona be with spray paint or something. a good track has at least two streight aways or one long streight and a short srteight, at least one rythem section and two jump sets that give you option of going big or going safe (a quad w/ a big take off or an evenly spaced double-double section works best for this setup). A big burm and an occasional table-top are fun too; but don't over do the jumps or you might crowed the track and it would just end up being a break-fest on yer parts.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:57 AM
icyunvmyrc

Thanks for the Info!! Im not going to use pvc though, a little too much money to invest in this. I wouldnt even have built a stand except I had a freind that was remodeling his house and I got some used lumber. The only thing I want to buy for this track is the dirt. As for size goes, it wont be that big, or even close for that matter. I dont have a whole lot of room to work with, plus Im not going to have the complete area that Im working with, I dont want to take down all of the trees in the area. Ill have to work around most of the trees. What is a minumum width that tracks go with? Is there any problem with using typical foundation dirt? Im guessing it will hold well but would probably pack tight in the future. Dont most tracks usually have a loose top soil?

Carl
Old 03-02-2004, 02:26 AM
Aerobirdbrain

Most of the tracks are two or three cars wide (take the width of a tmax and do it two-three times and you got it). You could probably just use some of that lumber as boundaries; just make sure that the lumber is no higher than half a wheel, other wise there will be no give in the system. As for dirt, my local track uses all red clay from a hill top nearby, the stuff is pretty expensive if you buy it from a landscaping place, but the advantage is that they comb the rocks out for ya, rather we had to do it by hand. It turns out perfect though if you water it down real good the night before you plan to run on it (in the summer of course).

You could also get a really good track lay out from a 350ft X 50ft size track. Cheak out these sites for some good track lay out ideas:
http://www.cincinnatirc.com/tracks.asp
Old 03-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Element

I'm also building a track in my back yard.The first thing I did was make a drawing then I marked the turning points and where jump were going to be Then I took my car out and drove around the marks to make shore it was going to be a fun track to race on.Ounce you have decided on the setup spray the rest of track out.Good luck with your track!

-Greg
Old 03-02-2004, 05:23 PM
IhrtTamiya

does anyone have suggestions for clearing sand off of pavement for an onroad track? dont have a powerwasher and i dont even know if the house will reach the road. i need a faster and cleaner way than a broom(may have to resort to it). any suggestions?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:42 PM
BONESLASHER04

[8D] Hey IhrtTamya have you tried using a blower like landscapers use. There powerful and you can wear them on you back or you can rent one of the bigger ones if you got a large area to do. You can uselly rent one of the bigger ones from a hardware store or a store that wents out heavy equipment. Hope tjis helps.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:44 PM
HPIRS4-3SS
My Feedback: (2)

does anyone have suggestions for clearing sand off of pavement for an onroad track? dont have a powerwasher and i dont even know if the house will reach the road. i need a faster and cleaner way than a broom(may have to resort to it). any suggestions?
try using a blower.....the thing you use to blow off all the grass and leafs when your down cutting the grass, it might take long depends on how much sand but its alot faster then a broom