Ultra stick lite, gas engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 05:44 PM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra stick lite, gas engine?

Hi
I would like to get an ultra stick lite, and a good gas engine for great performance.

What engine have people seen that work great, also what prop is used?

Thanks

Bill
Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Ultra stick lite, gas engine?

Zenoa 26, Homelite chain saw conversions, etc.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 08-24-2004, 08:36 PM
HOOTER

I have an "Old style" H9 Ultra Stick 120 with a Quadra 35 on it!! This plane flew great at 1/2" throttle, but unfortunally I did not pay enough attention to the linkage and the horns on the elevator and when I went to full throttle I lost it to flutter!!!!!

I am in the process of rebuilding it, it will gain about a pound of weight but seeing how it flew at 1/2 throttle it should be OK!!

This is my first attempt at "Gas" planes and I was using the Stick as a test bed/learning tool.."Boy am I learning"!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:40 PM
pilotkelowna
My Feedback: (1)

Saw 2 last weekend - both with MVVS 1.6 and tuned pipe. Excellent combo !!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:31 PM
David_Moen

I'm having a gas with The U-Stick and MVVS 1.60 gas combo. Hovers at half throttle, flies very light, should do very well on floats too! With this engine you can use the stock engine mount. Rudder and elevator servos have to go in the tail to balance, but my RX battery is under the wing. We found a neat way to install the servos inside the fuse so they aren't hanging out in the breeze.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61871.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	167232  
Old 08-24-2004, 09:32 PM
REDLAWNPILOT

Go with a Zenoah g26 with an APC 18x6 prop. Great combination!

Jim
Old 08-26-2004, 03:24 PM
wyldman

I used a brison 2.4 on mine it has vertical like a rocket and will still float , servo's had to be put in the tail as well as the batteries to make it balance, there was a thread in the ARF forum a while back about this plane you might check there.
WYLDMAN
Old 08-26-2004, 03:43 PM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

Hi
What size prop are you turning on the Brison?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:25 AM
wyldman

I started out with an 18x10 zinger pro and then switched to a topflight 18x10 the only draw back is prop clearence with plane on level take off roll there is only 1\2 inch clearence any tail high landings would end up with a prop strike. I won a taller landing gear at a fun fly event ,it needed a little trimming to fit the fuse and now I have more than enough clearence for the MSC 20x8 I'm using now. I found out that the landing came from ABELL and they worked out great and I have 2 inch's of clearence now with the 20x8 and more than enough power to climb out of a hover.
take off roll with this setup is 10 feet to vertical and then straight up as high as you can see.
I have a bunch of planes but this is the one that always goes to the field with me every time.
it handles the wind like no other plane I've flown and I have flown it in 30+ mph wind. this plane does'nt like to fly in knife edge but with this much horse power on it , IT WILL.
If you go with this engine let me know and I'll send you pics and details of my USL 120.
WYLDMAN
Old 08-27-2004, 12:22 PM
David_Moen

I use an 18x8 Menz, my partner uses an 18x8N APC, both work well on this plane with the MVVS 1.60 gas engine. We are planning to do some float flying so we didn't want the servos hanging out in the breeze. Jim engineered a lite ply mount that allows the installation of the servos inside the fuse. The servos are stacked in top of each other on a lite ply mount stands vertically and on the center-line of the fuse. This is secured with 2 lite ply plates that are keyed and glued to the servo plate. When viewed from the front or back, this assembly looks like an H laid on it's side, the assebly is about 3" long and the vertical plate is tapered so that the top/bottom pieces end up exactly parallel to the top and bottom of the fuse. The servos, with pushrods attached, are installed in the mount, then the whole mount drops into the fuse from the bottom, slides back to its proper position, then gets secured with servo screws throught the top and bottom of the fuse. We made fairings for the push rod exits by cutting the sides off of pill bottles and glueing them to the fuse with canopy glue. If the servos ever need maintenance, I can just peel back the covering , pop the clevises on the rudder/elevator, remove 4 screws and the whole thing slides out.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:50 PM
tazlittleking

For the price of the engine etc. Is it complete overkill to put a DL-50 on an Ultra Stick 120?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

There is a very good old thread under the aerobatic airplanes section called Ultra stick lite . . . Use the search feature and it covers everything from engine choices to modifying the fuse.

Elson
Old 10-01-2007, 10:11 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Zenoah G-20 ei on my USL and love it. It has unlimited vertical, is easy to start and smooth running.

For maximum fun, this plane should be kept light, built with the quad setup and controlled by a computer radio to provide for crow mode and coupling of flaps and elevator and flaps and ailerons. That doesn't mean overlooking going with a light gas motor. With no cowl to be considered, a light gas engine is a great way to go on this plane, very little cleanup and very cheap to run. I've a dozen planes in my hanger and this combo quickly became my favorite flier.

There may be some who think this plane needs a larger engine but they may be used to the older Ultra Stick that was considerably heavier. The G-20 provides unlimited vertical, yet keeps this plane under ten lbs and lightly loaded so that the harrier and crow modes are not compromised. Others have noted that a G-26 without ei will not provide unlimited vertical, indicating that the additional power doesn't overcome the additional weight.

The USL balances perfectly with the G20 ei. The ei unit and battery sits where the fuel tank normally does and a 8 oz fuel tank sits forward in the wing cavity so as to maintain balance.

The G-20ei is so easy to start, I've never used an electric starter with it. No flight box or clean up stuff required. Just carry plane, radio and gas can to the flight line.

I'm running a 16-6 APC with edges sanded well for hand propping without a glove. This motor does not need slap started, a light flick does it.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:19 AM
tazlittleking

I love my ultra stick 60. We just tear up the skies with this thing. It has a GMS 76 in it and it is overpowered, but that is the way we love it. Three of us have the same set up and love it that way.

My goal is to get out of the glow for many reasons, which I don't feel like debating. I am afraid that if I go with the Ultra Stick 120 and go with the G26, that it will not be powered up like we like to fly the ultra stick. Which is why I was thinking DL-50 since the price tag is just a smidge more. It would be overpowered for sure, but would it be worth flying. It obviously would have to have longer landing gear and beefed up controls to avoid flutter.

Anyone seen anything larger on these ultra sticks and what they did to make it work?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are over two pounds difference between the Ultra Stick 120 and the Ultra Stick Lite 120. I've a friend who has the older Ultra Stick 120 with a large glow two stroke and doesn't like the way it flies because of its weight.

Keeping the engine weight of the Ultra Stick Lite to just that required to balance in my opinion will make the best flier and the G20 does that perfectly, plus the G20 spins a 16-6 prop to 9,000, which is very respectable and only requires an 8oz fuel load for a 20 min flight.

With this light loading, with a little breeze and crow mode, the plane will take off in its length and go straight up, yet will dive from high altitude at the runway and then pull out and land at walk speed. Or, in standard mode it will do very large loops, large vertical eights inside/outside or whatever else wanted... it just won't couple well for nice knife edge flight.

When coupling the flaps and ailerons and flaps and elevator, it will pull loops almost within its length and will roll far faster than can be counted. Each of these three modes is at the touch of a switch, of course a computer radio with six mixes is needed. I'd also suggest a radio with exponential as when coupling, and on high rate to really roll it up, the roll rate is so sensitive that over controlling is likely without exponential.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 PM
tazlittleking

My 60 size with GMS 76 is way nose heavy. The three of us love it like this. I flew one guys that was balanced right and did not really like it.

For instance this plane in my opinion is to throw around and really just have fun. Precise flying such as knife edges are really something I would do with my Yak or other planes. With it being nose heavy I can do the tightest and fastest loops and never stall it. Where as a balanced plane would stall.

I just don't want to waste the money on a 120 and DL-50 if I can't get it to work.

Anyone have any experience with overpowering this plane with bigger engines?
If I did go with the G20 or G26 would it pull out of a hover?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:09 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

My 60 size GP Stick has a G20 up front and and at just a tad under 8 lbs has all the performance you could ever want.

Karol
Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 PM
tazlittleking

Wow that would save some money! Just replace my 76 with the G20? How are you killing the engine? Throttle?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:47 AM
karolh

The G20 replaced an ASP75, and I believe if you decide to go this route you will be quite pleased with the end result.

On the Stick I use a standard Rx switch mounted on the fuse to manually kill the ignition, and the throttle is adjusted that at full low throttle trim it cuts the engine. My bigger gassers are fitted with a Tx activated electronic engine kill switch.

Karol
Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 PM
aa2dd

I have the "old" style stik with a Brison 2.4 mounted. It flies great and still is going strong. The Brison hauls it in fine style for sure!

Bruce
Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Mr. Mugen

Anyone use a evolution 26GT2? I just bought one for mine and the tuned pipe to go with. I would like a pic if possible.

Also wondering if it is ok to mount the ignition on the top or bottom of the fuse behind the motor? The wires from the ignition are too short to mount in the servo compartment. Thanks, Kevin
Old 11-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well we got my gt26 mounted w/tuned pipe. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50517.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	796717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39475.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	796718  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
karolh

With that piped 26 up front, you had better hold on tight when you unleash that there flying machine.

Karol
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Mr. Mugen

Do you think it has enough power? Just kidding....haha. I had ordered a saito 180 for thisplane originally but then did some more thinking. I want to fly this winter and nothing runs like a 2 stroke gas engine in winter. My saito 100 has dead sticked nearly everytime since the cold weather started. So I went ahead and ordered this for it instead. I think all my planes from now on will be gassers. I have 6 orv's that all are 2 stroke, this will just have a smaller can is all.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
karolh

Knowing very little about gas engines myself, I was very tentative when I decided to give one a try. Going gas proved to be a whole new ball game from the glow motors I was accustomed to. However with the help of several folks here on this forum I quickly learnt about the do's and don't about gassers. Now there is no going back for me ....gas is here to stay

Karol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.