Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

50 sx rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 12:05 AM
rrw71
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 sx rebuild?

This is my first ringed engine. I have not had it apart yet, but have a couple of questions.

1. Do you replace the piston, ring and sleeve? or just the ring & sleeve.

2. Can you have the piston and sleeve resized like a none ringed engine?

3. If so, by whom? I can't find osrocket on ebay.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 12-05-2004, 02:54 AM
Ernie Misner

Default RE: 50 sx rebuild?

First upper end rebuilds on a ringed engine usually just consist of replacing the ring and deglazing the cylinder a bit. More worn engines will require piston replacement also, and extremley worn engines will need a new sleeve as well.

The only way to convert a ringed engine to non-ringed or ABC type, is to replace those parts if they are available from the manufacturer that way. No, your existing parts cannot be modified. An ABC type engine has a tapered bore and piston that fits with zero clearance at the top when it is new.

Ernie
Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get rings from Frank Bowman for around $11 shipped

Enjoy

Jim
Old 12-07-2004, 02:24 AM
rrw71

How do you deglaze a cylinder? Alcohol? WD40? Soak it?

Also, what is the best way to install the new ring w/o bending it?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 12-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Ernie Misner

I would take some extremely fine wet or dry paper (wrapped around your finger) to the cylinder around and around a few times to create a cross hatch appearance to the metal. Go easy, not enough to remove much, just enough to get rid of the shiny look. This will help a new ring to break in and seat. Steel wool might work too.

What you don't want to do with the new ring is to spread it enough to go completely over the piston all at once. That stresses it too much and it could break or bend. Instead, with the ring laying on top of the piston, pull one end down enough to start going into the groove. Then spread the ring just enough that the rest of it can slowly be pulled down into the groove.

Be sure and orient the ring with the pin in the piston before trying to compress it into the cylinder. Also, there may be an up and down orientation to the ring to fit the pin.

Ernie
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Hey guys, I just read this tread and I also have a worn out 50sx and was looking for parts. What ever you do look to buy stuff anywhere other than OS. The prices for a sleeve, piston, & ring made me go and buy a magnum 52xls. I did a little digging and found info on how to contact Frank.

Frank can be reached at [email protected] or 1-505-327-0696 ( 6pm to 9pm mst. weekdays) and the following address:
Frank Bowman
1211 N. Allen
Farmington, NM. 87401

Also take a look at this other site I found. I have no experience with them but they may help ya out with some odd engines or hard to find stuff. They are into rings and stuff.
http://www.dol.net/~dave.reed/rangcast.htm

Dave
Old 12-07-2004, 10:27 AM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

If you are going to purchase a ring from Frank Bowman I would recommend that you send the piston and sleeve assembly to him and he will ensure that the ring fits properly, the set I sent to him was returned to me in 8 days using USPS first class. He installed the ring on the piston and deglazed the liner for me at no extra charge. The cost was $12 plus shipping for a ST 3000.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:45 AM
rrw71

That sounds like a great idea H-P. I just wish there were some directions and/or pictures on how to do it. There are a lot of directions on non-ringed engine disassembly out there and I would like to learn as much as possible about ringed engines.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
ZB50

I purchased my 50SX parts from Tower and got the free shipping with quick delivery. I went ahead and overspent because the 50SX has been a very good engine for me. Having said that,,,,, When I decided to rebuild my .46FX, I bought the kit from Just engines. I have it ready to go but have not run it yet.

ZB
Old 12-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Ernie Misner

ZB, was the Just Engines purchase for the Leo piston and liner that fits the FX?

If so, have you had a chance to run it yet and compare?

thanks!

Ernie