Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Engine out simulation

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 07:16 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine out simulation

Before

12/20/04
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81649.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	208904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21749.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	208905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31209.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	208906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59062.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	208907  
Old 12-31-2004, 07:22 PM
BillS

Default RE: Engine out simulation

Oops!

One trainer less than yesterday.

Engine out simulation is very important before the real thing happens. Unfortunately we didn’t get the radio programmed for engine out practice before the real event occurred. We were retrieving the broken airplane before the real cause was realized.

I vote for engine out down linking to the transmitter on future radios.

Hopefully we are a little smarter than yesterday.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10522.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	208920  
Old 12-31-2004, 07:39 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

BillS:

Hope it can be repaired, looked like a nice airplane.

Now for a "Tolyaso!"

You have seen how quickly everything can go to pot, and that was with a "Mild" twin. Cock your finger on the throttle stick, if ANYTHING abnormal appears, kill the power immediately, nose down second, and only then think about how to get the plane home.

Build-n-flier is doing some programming to simulate engine out. Click [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2487915/anchors_2487915/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2487915]here[/link] to get to one of his posts, maybe he can help you. And Twinman has been doing it for quite a while, you can ask him also.

Bill.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:44 PM
BillS

Bill,

Repair has already begun and it is reported to be reasonable. Sure am glad that I was not driving. We were just before programming the radio and simulating engine out.

The engine out was probably due to going to low throttle on down wind leg. Right turn 180 degrees with right engine out showed no difficulty. No one knew that an engine was out. Straighten out for landing while slightly above tree top and discovered a drift to far side of runway. A throttle up to full for go around created a very pretty 90-degree flat turn to the right towards the woods. No one knew that an engine was out. Throttle back and the airplane straightened out towards the woods. Into the woods it went.

The moral to this story is to practice engine outs during non-emergency time and before the real thing happens. We were one flight too late on our practice.

Bill
Old 12-31-2004, 10:33 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BillS
I am very sorry to hear of the loss of one of your "children". Been there, done that. Looked like a good one and I hope it can return to scaring the daylights out of you soon!@!!!!
Tee Hee,
Twinman
Old 01-02-2005, 02:00 AM
BillS

I think the airplane will be back in service in a week or two. The radio was programmed today to simulate engine out. Anyone else who throttles up like a single gets his private parts cut off.

Twinman I tried your ‘rudder trim trick’ to simulate engine out. It’s really difficult and after five or six circuits it is disorienting. Maybe the concentration begins to fade. The trick does feel almost exactly like and engine out.

Bill
Old 01-02-2005, 12:35 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it helped. The big part of it is that it forces one to learn to use and feel comfortable with the rudder and you can get out of it quickly.
Now, the part that it is not exactly like engine out, is that you still have power to both engines. It does help to force learning to fly in a simulated thrust differential, but you still have the power to stay in the air, which with one engine out, you might have an additional problm. Oh, well, one problem at a time. Better to practice before you REALLY need it.
Good Luck,
Twinman