Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Twin Star Squared...!...4 engines!

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin Star Squared...!...4 engines!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Twin Star Squared...!...4 engines!

This is my four engine Twin Star with four MOCEA .32...and she flew like a rocket ship. Way to much power for the airframe, and unlimited vertical. 4 Oz. fuel tanks inboard, and 3 Oz. outboard, for four minutes of flight time. I've since re-engined the bird with four OS Max .10's, and .15's would be the perfect match. I turn 7 x 5 Zingers, and that is the best combination with the OS Max .10's. With the .10's I can fly ten minutes, and with all turning-enough power to have a ball. It will fly with three, but you must use a handful of rudder...and remember to take out the rudder on reducing power and landing. It is managable on three .10's but with my nacelles of #1 & #4 engines so far out board, a handful until you are used to the thrust arangement (I would bring the outboard nacelles inboard one wing rib bay with the smaller engines, if I were to do it again). You will need all the power of the three turning engines to keep her airborne, so I need to hold at least 3/4 rudder into the live engines. I never lost an engine with the .32's, but I would suspect it would be best to throttle down to idle, or cut power all together, and take what you can on landing. She is a show stopper, and those little OS Max 10's are a sweet running engines. I did need to modify my engine nacelles to fit the .10's, and used engine exhaust extensions for the mufflers to reach out of the nacelles with enough clearence. They were a bit spendy at $10.00 a pop, but what is a man to do... I've over forty flights on her and the sound thoes engines make is music to my ears.

This picture is of the model with .32's, and I'll post a picture of the OS max .10 instilation in a day or two.

Soft landings always,

Bob of Maui