Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

flying boat

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

flying boat

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 06:29 PM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flying boat

I would like to build a flying boat. A multi engine one like the albatros, pby, I like them all. I'm having trouble finding any of these in plan or kit form. I don't want over about 100 inches in wingspan. I saw G&P kits but their too expensive. I had an idea to take a lt-40 and a float kit and enlarge the formers fo fit the bottom a little better. Cut the formers a little short from the top and gluing them to the bottom of the fuse. So you just made the hull on the bottom of the plane. Them mount two or four engines on the wing make wingtip floats. You got yourself a flying boat.
I didn't know if it would work so I thought I would ask the experts.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:52 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flying boat

Paul Burke has a very fertile imagination.
He has some stuff on his web site that may interest you.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pjburke1/IMAGES/KADOTTER.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~pjburke1/kadseaplane.htm
Old 01-24-2003, 12:36 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default flying boat

Hi. I ordered plans for a flying boat called the Liki Tiki from RCM. I haven't received the plans as of yet but I'll let you know how they are when they come in if you like.

LIKI TIKI Plans link

72" span, 720 sq. in., (2) .35, 4 ch., built-up balsa, plywood, and foam core sponsons, one sheet 39" x 59"

I'm going to go with OS 46 FX's on mine. I'm going to build up wood/fiberglass sponsons also.

RCM sells the plan for only $9. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing yet.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:46 AM
AmishWarlord

Default flying boat

I got the plans in. They are really nice. I can't believe they are from 1967. $9 for these was a really good deal.

Now for the down side of this plane. I took one look at the narrow fuselage and thought, "This thing must has a hard time getting on step and off the water". I read the construction article and sure enough he had some problems getting it on step and off the water. I'm going to widen the fuse 2".

Next I noticed this plane had a flat bottom wing. This plane is supposed to be high performance so I thought that high lift wing may cause problems. Once again this was mentioned in the construction article that the plane had a tendency to "Climb like a rocket" when full power was given to the engines. I think I might change to a simi-symetrical airfoil. He was worried that this would change the glide path so that’s why he didn't modify it. I'll just put flaps on the model.

Next it was mentioned that the model is hard to steer on the water when the wind is blowing. Being a twin engine plane I think this will be an easy fix just to mixed "Taxi" setting, throttle and rudder on my future computer radio.

After reading the article and the performance he got with K&B 35's I think I'll go with a set of OS 25 FX's since I'm going to use Davis Diesel conversions.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:22 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default flying boat

amish are you the one at the field with the tuned pipe and diesel on the trainer? You both know we have a float fly on the 8th of february??
Old 01-30-2003, 09:00 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default flying boat

Amish,
Those seam like good mods you have in mind,

I think you need to keep in mind also, the in 1965 K&B .35 were high performance engine, they most likely had the same horsepower as any newer .25s on 10% nitro. I'm think the designer problem getting it on step didn't come from the long narrow fuse, but from the gutless engines. you ever run any old K&Bs? Do .25 deisels have more power than nitro .35s? I've never plyed with deisels.

Anyway, I bet if you put a couple modern .35s or .40s that plan would jumb right up on step.

Also It's hard to tell from the picture, but does the plane have any positive incedence built into the firewalls? a couple degrees will help get it up on step as well.

Good luck with the project. I dig those vintage designs
Old 01-30-2003, 11:44 PM
JimCasey

Default flying boat

So4M has a good point about the newer engines.
My experience with seaplanes has been that they are hard/impossible to get up on the step if they are too heavy for the hull. Adding width to the hull as you indicated will support more weight, but the smaller engines and modern radio stuff are lighter.

Adding chines (1/2" triangle stock) along the edges of the bottom will contribute to a lot of initial lift and pop it up on step, too
Old 02-01-2003, 05:17 PM
AmishWarlord

Default flying boat

Yeah that's me Even. I'll be out there today stinking up the field with my diesel. I wont make the float fly though. I'm working on a twin engine Cloud Dancer at the moment. I'll have the Liki Tiki ready for the spring hopefully.

This plane isn't as big as the 72" wingspan suggest. I think two OS 25 FX's running Diesel will be right for it. 46's will just be too much engine. LOL I'll be able to take a 72" flying boat to the SMALL flying this fall, got to love that.

Jim, he added tri-stock chins to it and has them marked out on the planes but he said they didn't improve getting on step very much but they did divert most of the spray away from the fuselage so he kept them on. I think fatting this plane up will do the job. I've seen 60 size pontoons for float planes that are wider than this boats fuselage.

I think he has the thrust set at zero. The planes call for old rail mounts. I'm thinking of putting in a modern firewall and engine mount so You think I should build in some positive up thrust in the firewalls?

On Diesels. "Do .25 diesels have more power than nitro .35s? I've never plyed with deisels." Yeah they do. It turns a 25 into a 40. Basically it will be like I'm running 40 size glow engines on it instead of 25's. I'm just starting out with Diesels so I'm still learning. Been having fun getting used to my 46FX that I converted on my LT-40 test bed airplane. Just ask Evan. I don't have a radio with throttle stop so I've been having trouble keeping the carb from opening past the point where it messes up the fuel mixture. I think I have that solved now until I can get a new radio so I should have a better running plane. They do everything the ad says only think is they stink of ether and soot and unless you run a pipe to the tail of your plane they put a big black oil slick down the side of your plane. Oh, and this oil on your plane smells stronger than the fuel or the exhaust.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:49 PM
JimCasey

Default flying boat

Yeah, I think it could use 2-3 degrees upthrust. The thrustline is above both the CG and all the drag. That'll also help pop it up on step.

Do the plans also call for 5-6 degrees right thrust on the right engine, and 0-1 degree LEFT thrust on the left engine?

Clever throttle stop on your transmitter. I suppose you can't use one of those adjustable-length throttle arms that come with hitec servos?