Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Design New Shop AKA "The Spouse Avoidance Zone"

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Design New Shop AKA "The Spouse Avoidance Zone"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design New Shop AKA "The Spouse Avoidance Zone"

I'm in the design stage of building a new shop for modeling projects. What would you like to have in YOUR dream shop? The building will be 30x30 with 20x30 of it for the shop. The other 10x30 will be for lawn equipment storage. What I have design is as follows. The shop will have a heat pump for Hvac. A center movable work bench, a 20' work bench with storage under and over with a 8' bump out in the middle that's 3' deep as I find normal counter tops to narrow for most uses. There will be a bench along one wall for the shop tools such as a drill press, sanding box, band saw, sander and scroll saw. This wall will have a dust collection system with the unit placed in the lawn mower storage area along with an air compressor. I did this to keep the noise levels down. There will be a TV and stereo and PC along one wall. Cabinets will be built to size for storage of all equipment. A balsa rack and covering racks along with air plane storage rackswill be built as well. There will be a 1/2 bath inside the shop. If you'd take a look at the drawing I have in my members file you can see a drawing of this shop. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the picture loaded onto this post. If someone would like to they can load this up for me in another reply that would be great.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...emberID=136924

The project budget is 30k and that doesn't include any modeling tools or tv,pc,stereo which I already have.

Thanks for playing/dreaming
Old 02-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Design New Shop AKA "The Spouse Avoidance Zone"

No problem. Looks like you will have a nice shop to "HIDE" in. Your missing the Frig though[sm=omg_smile.gif]. Wouldn't be able to stay hidden very long!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Mastertech

ORIGINAL: Digger44

No problem. Looks like you will have a nice shop to "HIDE" in. Your missing the Frig though[sm=omg_smile.gif]. Wouldn't be able to stay hidden very long!!

DOH!!!!!! that's a must have!!!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:12 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

How about a paint booth? It can be a handy place for working with some of the solvents, painting cowls, etc.

Brad
Old 02-03-2007, 04:48 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

An SAZ...I love it
Old 02-03-2007, 07:32 PM
rwright142

TV, fridge, microwave, urinal. You'll never need to leave...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Luxuries I'd like to have:

One blank cork faced wall big enough to pin up a second full set of plans to refer back to and keep visible; and to tack up all my sketches for alterations and color schemes. Storage cabinets below that area from 32" down would be OK (Hey, I might be able to do that!)

A beer tap.

Fume hood (as mentioned above - doesn't have to be a full permanent booth as I don't do that much painting).

Old 02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
driedjello

You must have compressed air hookups!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:11 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the best things I ever added to my shop was a shelf, that runs around the shop at about 6 1/2-7 ft. high and 10-12" wide. Good place to store bulky items that eat up space, and easy to access.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77468.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	615129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91569.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	615130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53489.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	615131  
Old 02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd build a carport for the mower shed and use the inside as shop area. My shop has a bench for charging, - everything. Another bench for engine work only, engine storage and engine parts (has my crock pot there too). A stand up cabinet for special building tools. And a roll around work bench with drawers in it about belly high, nice if you have a bad back. I have a 6' square building table in the middle with all my wood storage underneith. The power tools are pretty much laid out like yours, drill press, 1" belt sander, jig saw, big sander and band saw next to the bench. With that extra mower space you could put a mill, lathe and other tools in there.
Edwin
Old 02-06-2007, 06:21 PM
TopThumbs

A lockable metal storage cabinet for expensive items, radios, motors etc.
Another metal storage cabinet for fuels and other flammable items.

Sams club has the 5 shelve adjustable METAL gorilla racks on sale for $59 bucks. I baught 5 and they can latch together. excellent solution for shelving.
Compressor with hose attachments points around your shop.
Dust collection system
large over head lighting
Outlets 4 feet off the floor every 6-8 feet
Dont forget a deadbolt on the door
at least one 220 outlet close to the door.

I am in the process of setting up my new shop also - aint it great!

Bill
Old 02-06-2007, 06:27 PM
TopThumbs

already thought of more.

Nice sound system AKA stereo
Coffee station
Rocking chair or other comfy "pondering spot"
Fridge is an excellent idea - Make sure there is room for C/A and battery storage
Intercom to the house

I put my 10" table saw in the middle and build a removable tabletop for it that doubles as a assemply table

My old shop I scored some surpluss lockers from a buss station I used for fuel storage.

Bill
Old 02-06-2007, 07:57 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

A seperate circuit on a 12 or 24 hour timmmer, used for charging or other tasks that require time set's.

Metal tubes in concrete floor (flush) that can be used for a pop-in rack, plane hold-back or many 3rd-Hand type devices. (Covering Balancing Painting etc.)

A switch over the door or motion sensor that turns on a light (s), when your hands are full of the new items you brought home after dark.

A hand carved Prop for the front of the shop'

Looking Good so far

Enjoy"

Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need a place for your computer. I'd be lost without mine!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Sr-Telemaster

TopThumbs, intercom should be one way only - shop to house.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:10 AM
johnnylwhite
My Feedback: (17)

LOL...Ive got the intercom BUT it MUST be 2 way!!.....so you can hear the words: "dinner is ready!"

and I built a toilet into mine but if I had it to do over, I whould have included a SHOWER also to wash off the fiberglass and balsa dust!!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Sr-Telemaster

If she is understanding, she will bring it to you!!!LOL
Mine does she does'nt want all that dust in the house. Mostly hamburgs
Old 02-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Mastertech

Ok, so far I found out I forgot the fridge, I have a place for the PC. I will install an early warning system aka an Intercom. The lawn mower shed will be a thinly disguised paint booth. Sams club has the center workbench I intend to use. Nice unit with a maple top, much cheaper than I could build. I have a piece of 1" slate for sheating wings and such. I'm up in the air on leaving the floor natural sealed concrete or adding some sort of flooring. My old shop I had a brushed concrete floor and it was a pita to keep clean or sweep. Most of the open walls from 4' to 8' will be slat board. Lighting is still up in the air as well. Does anyone think a 42" plasma tv is over the top? The shelf unit along one wall will be large enough to hold the size airplanes I fly on the gear. Elec outlets will be at 4' height and every 6 feet. Anyone think putting a floor outlet might be a smart idea for the center work bench? Pros Cons?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah! 42" is clearly over the top. A 37" should do the trick. Something I wish I had done in my shop was to paint the floor a lighter color. Makes it easier to find screws, especially the small ones. OR, valve stem keepers. I've started putting the engines in big zip-lock baggies just in case now.
Edwin
Old 02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
johnnylwhite
My Feedback: (17)

Yep a floor outlet for the movable table would be good.....I WISH I HAD ONE!

For my flat surface I used a 3'x7' Hollow Metal Door and set it on top of a work bench unit I bought at Lowes. It has 4 drawers and a bottom shelf....I cut it down about 8" and put 4 rollers on it that will lock so it moves rather nice!

Get some of them rubber pad units that interlock together at sams....work great when you stand at your bench!

8 foot flour. strip lights work great......I have 4 and I wish I had a couple more!

HECK.....a 42" plasma tv aint too big!.....I thought I was in hog heaven with my 25" unit and Direct TV!

DONT FORGET the water line for the ice maker in the fridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:44 PM
APIA

If you have not built your bench yet, a piece of advice... build it to your working height. I am 6'3" and the normal height work bench is not high enough thus causing nagging back aches. A good rule of thumb is to measure from your elbow to the floor and use that height for the bench top. Take it for what it is worth but it works for me...
Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Mastertech

Thanks. I'm short at 5'7" so the workbench needs to be around bathroom counter height. I intend to make the one workbench adjustable. Working on an airplane sitting in a stand on top of a normal bench makes it way to high for me. Not sure yet how I'm going to do that.Maybe a bench top that is removable to reveal yet another work bench "top" underneath it. Maybe the upper bench top built on a frame that has a dowel locating system into the lower bench. Anyone got a better idea?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Jigley3

Hi…..
A nice item to include in your new shop is electrical outlets in the ceiling. You will find they are incredible handy especially when equipped with a retractable cord winder. Mine are split with one side switched. They are the most used in the shop.

As to work benches, I have tried lots and for me the best setup has been one 30”x 7’and one 24”X 7’ parallel to one another about three feet apart at two different heights. One is best used while standing the other sitting. The sitting height one tends to be just right for standing when working on a fully assembled aircraft. An 8’ strip of four tube florescent light above each and you will have a super place to work. I am convinced that the two smaller sized benches are much better than one larger one. The other thing in my shop that I would not be without is a restaurant style teacart on casters. This rolls about between work areas and has shelves and pegboard on its ends for all the crap that normally accumulates on the bench. It keeps tools glue pins etc. handy but off the bench.
Good luck with you project……Bert

PS… If the rules stated that I could only offer one suggestion it would have to be the teacart…..
Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 PM
bayareajeff

How about a Vac system like in a wood Shop. You can hook it up to your power tools to keep the dust at a minimum.

Peace,

Jeff
Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 AM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

hey this was suppose to be put under lets see your workshop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.