Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Heli for me? Choosing?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Heli for me? Choosing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Hellion179

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli for me? Choosing?

From another post I had kinda thought out loud a bit and I'm having some trouble deciding what I want to get. I own a Raptor .30. Personally, it's too big, messy, and just not practical for what I'm wanting to do. I was able to hover with no problems and can do forward flight without a lot of problems. It's the orientation I have problems with...but I've gotten better at that with a cheap flight sim I've had for awhile...I enjoy having something to fly indoors..so I might pick up a CX2 for that sorta thing..but I'm willing to wait...

I want something I can fly outside in some wind. I live in S.Texas, not far from the coast..it's an extremely rare occassion that there are winds less than 5mph..plus side is winter lasts one month :P I've owned generic 4ch FP's, and found them fidgety..and difficult to fly..no room indoors and usually too windy outdoors..

I'd like to keep it electric, I am working out a deal with the wife for a sort of allowence..as right now I'm spending too much, hehe...so I guess you could say my only budget is how long I'm willing to wait.

A list of stuff that's important to me in order of importance.
1. Must be able to fly in some wind.
2. Stable, yet something you don't get bored of..room for exploration.
3. An inbetween size from my 4ch and my Raptor 30.
4. Preferably in a mostly ready to go package..if not that's OK, just more quetions for you guys!

So toss out your suggestions beause I'm listening.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Heli for me? Choosing?

for fixed pitch
Lite Mahines Corona

for collective pitch
T-REX
Old 04-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Hellion179

I think CP is what I'm aspiring to. http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=335017COM Good deal??

What are the dimensions to a 450 T-Rex? Is purchasing items in a kit better in the long run or would I be better off buying individual items? I think I'd have trouble picking everything out : /
Old 04-14-2007, 12:53 AM
robotronski

The TREX 450 handles wind great.

I just finished getting the radio in mine and its been windy for a week, so I finally gave in and flew it.

I was VERY impressed with how stable it was.

Today was gusts over 20MPH so I did not fly. I have my limits for sure...

Since I'm still a rookie, I'm careful to always land/take off facing the breeze.

No issues with wind for hovering or forward flight, Fig 8's.

Nice heli, with tons of support/ user help / mods/ parts etc...

Robo

EDIT to include:
Rotor is about 26" Also there is a Trex 450 SA model that is partially assembled but do be sure to check all factory installed fasteners to be SAFE. Its about $199 w/out electronics or motor/controller
Old 04-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Hellion179

Winds for the past three days here have been over 40mph : /

What are the differences between the different model of T-Rexs'? I like the deal that's offered from the link I listed..and it was recommended in an old thread on a related issue..just wondering if it'd be worth buying all together like that or buying seperate.

Are there any other models I should be directing my searches to?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
whtmex

If you want it to handle a bit of wind, I'd definitely go with the T-Rex 450. The T-rex 600 will basically be the electric equivalent of your Raptor .30. The 450 handles nice up to about 20-25 MPH. With a Blade CP/CPP you'll be pushing it with anything over 10MPH, and the parts cost is ridiculous. Repair parts for the T-rex are $$$ comparable and usually quite a bit cheaper than the parts for the CP.

The Main rotor diameter is about 26" on the 450, and the overall length from blade tip to tail tip is about 29".
Old 04-16-2007, 02:44 PM
FMB42

Consider getting a SIM as a way too learn orientation without spending lots of time on crash repairs. FMS is a freeware download SIM that I have had good luck with so far. A CX2, or other coax heli, is the best bet for indoor use due to the lower head speeds, while your Raptor is the best thing for outdoor use in winds speeds of 3-4 mph or more. Good luck and good flying!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 PM
hemi4x4

Trex 450, XL, SA or SE. Start with the XL it will let you crash without having to take out a loan to rebuild.
I went from Walkera 22E (3 of them) to TREX XL and finally bought the SE about 2 weeks ago. The XL is as much if not more fun to fly as the SE.

I fly these inside the house to keep it exciting!!
http://www.hobbytron.com/Winner-Full...elicopter.html

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Toy...er_Review.html